Strictly Mulch job on property that I mow regularly

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by T-Time, Jul 6, 2004.

1. T-Time

T-Time LawnSite Member

I,m going to be bidding on laying 16 yards of hardwood mulch. I have a number, but was wondering what you would come up with. Was considering using 6 guys not including myself. I was figuring this job to take roughly 5 hours. The property is pretty well spread out. I used a wheel to get my measurements. Which came out to be 3222 sqft. Any input would be greatly apprieciated. I have done one other Mulch job this summer but think I miss bid on the amount of time and labor involved. I made some money but I had to work real hard to make that happen, I would rather not have my back against the wall this time if I can help it. The mulch is going to cost me 25 dollars a yard. Beds are already maintained just laying mulch.

Thanks, T-Time

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if you're just re-applying then your time should be around 7-12 man hours depending on how many plants and objects you have to spread around as well as how far you have to go to the pile. If you don't have them already get the 10Cu FT wheelbarrows and some plastic horse crap shovels, they make the job much faster..

i think 6 guys is overkill on this job unless you have a laundry list of other tasks to do at the same property.

3. T-Time

T-Time LawnSite Member

Just laying the mulch, spreading it around trees and basically numerous hedge rows. How mnany people would you think 3, 4 ? Thanks for the feed back

Mitch

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i've done 12 yards with one helper in about 6-7 hours which was spreading around a heavily planted area, if there was fewer plants i could have gotten all 22 yards done in one day. the obstacles/plants slowed us down the most just because it was hard to get mulch to the back of the beds.

also, you might want to bring one guy that will just load wheel barrows all day and have 2 others that will spread it. this means more equipment up front because you'll need one or two more wheelbarrows, but it will save a lot of time.

5. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

Figure mulch spreading at one man hour per yard. However, if there are a ton of plants or a lot of wheelbarrow work involved give yourself some more time.

When re-applying mulch all you want is 1-2". We don't even dump the wheelbarrow, just work out of it so you don't put down too much.

I'd hire BSDeality to do the job, that guy is an animal!!! :)

6. T-Time

T-Time LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input,

I do not want to be moving and spreading Mulch all day, so Im going to stick with my original game plan. I think I would rather pay a little extra in labor. The one yard per man hour sounds like a good way to figure it with an extra hour for getting it around the plants. Thanks for the reply, I'm going to submit my bid today

Thanks, T-Time

7. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

You should be about 65 - 70 dollars a yard installed to be competitive

Chuck

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My price for mulch is $40.00 a yard + retail cost of mulch (that is not negotiable). I never use more than 3 people total including myself for just mulching. It goes pretty good. Can install alot a mulch if everyone will work together..............