1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

String?? B*&&Z to that.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K c m, Apr 11, 2006.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Today I decided to try something out that I have been wondering since i've been in this business. Why use string? when you can use electrical wire. Well today I gave it a whirl. First I Have a stihl fs-85 pro and it is 5 years old. No problems plenty of A$$. Second I was using echo .95 or something string. (which worked very well for me) well until i used 2.08 essexp.com wire. I only wound it a few times to get maybe 2-3 bumps out of it. I started off by edging my walk. I usally stick edge first (for customers) but the dirt extends out on the pavement on my lawn so its tough. Last week I jsut used string and put a little groove in the edge and it looked fine. Tonight I throtled it and Man o man it lit the dirt up making the edge about .5-1inch deep. Next I decided to see how it would handle grass and not bad cut it really good except if u cought the grass. it would dig it up. NOw this is where people may get sketchy but i assure u this did happen. I have a cut off wheel for my trimmer the star kind for brush (but don't have the nut for it :cry: ). Well across the street i have a plethera of vines and growth I am taking out at my leisure. I have most of it done but one spot the vines are so thick i cant get my Machetty in there to cut and i dont have the brush cutter attachment working for me. SO i decided to try this new idea. And woah ha. Walzers. Hotdamn. Jumpin Jesohafat (sp? ha) but i think im going to keep this new wire on my trimmer.

Ps. the bump worked fine with it.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of wire is this again exactly?
  3. ASBK

ASBK LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Sounds good until the wire frays and pieces break off and start flying all over the place.:nono:
  4. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

What Size Wire?

Never mind I re-read it
  5. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Haha. definatly need eye protection

BESTYARDS LawnSite Member

Whoa! Keep your needle nose handy to pull the broken 2.08 essexp.com wire out of your calf.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds dangerous to me. On my old Exmark I had a piece of mudflap hanging from the back to help with striping. My local dealer asked me if it was for protection since he had seen a guy get a part of a clothes hanger stuck in his leg from a impact with the mower blades. High speed plus thin wire equals a trip to the hospital.
  8. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Remember when they tried to use the small chains? After several deaths they gave up on that idea,a flying link could penetrate a skull. It would be nice to have something like that work though.
  9. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

The ladies would love your trimmer idea no need to go to the doctor anymore u could charge a flat rate for your new style of acupuncture! Damn wish i woould have thought of it lol.....Hey i just remembered i do have a set of christmas lights that r burned out the lights would add a little pep.........lol