string jams in Echo trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardmonkey, May 20, 2000.

1. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using an Echo SRM2100SB trimmer.<br>Seems to be a pretty good machine, except for<br>one problem. Sometimes the string will not feed out (it has bump feed) and I have to<br>take the head apart and fix the string. What<br>I find is the the strings have crossed over<br>each other (it is a dual-string head).<br>I wonder if there is some kind of solution for this? Also I notice in reading some of<br>the threads that people seem to like the<br>Shindaiwa trimmers. Would they have this<br>problem also. I have seen in the Shindaiwa<br>literature that they are available with<br>various different heads. What kinds of<br>heads would be prefered and why?<br>And I wonder if I can use any other heads on<br>the Echo?<br>Thanks.<br>

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

First make sure your eyelets are round so they don't grab the string. Second, make sure when you wrap your spool that the string is tight and not crossed. I found that the round string &quot;welds&quot; more than square. I have 2501's and 2601's and use 095 square line.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Getmow. And to this is going to happen sometimes with most weedeaters.But hey, no one said this business was easy. You may have to restring once or twice a day

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

make sure you are winding the string the right way on the spool. this is not a dumb suggestion. I've worked at home depot befor and people bring 'em in backwards all the time.<p>to prevent &quot;welding&quot; og the line and break off at the head, tap the head and advance the line till the cutter clips off just the tip of the line on a frequent basis.<p>very mportant: use good line. I like weed terminator brand.<p>oh by the way...I had a srm 2100...HATED IT! took it back. I hope you are liking yours just fine.<p>HTH<p>GEO<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: geogunn

5. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have used echo all my life. I have not had that promblem, but my help had the problem, i always had to restring for them. Make sure that you tap the head often, cause if let the string get short that will happen.<p>----------<br>Tony<br>

6. pete

pete LawnSite Member

I think the shindaiwa heads are junk. I put a hard head on mine. We just got 2 new echos and ive been thinking about changing to hardheads on those. Bump feeds always seem to be a pain. These echos havent been too bad so im not sure. A hard head is is just a plastic head that has 4 holes in it. you cut a pice of line tie a knot in the middle of it and stick it through 2 of the holes. Sounds like a pain but its real easy and fast.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I'm glad I switched to plastic blades several years back. No more wasted time messing with tangled line.

8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Ihave an echo srm2601 I was constantly running in to your problem. Iwas stopping several ttimes per lawn and using a ton of line. I was going to trade the machine in for a stihl....When I went to the dealer they simply put a stihl head on the echo. That was two years ago. The trimmer works great now...it'slife expectancy was very short before!

9. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Speaking of Stihl heads they are great. Easy to take off and respool. I have a Shindawia and a Stihl. The Stihl head is definitely better designed.

10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

We use &quot;hard heads&quot; on pur Stihls but they<br>are made of aluminium.They are great.Chuck<br>the bump feed head in the bin.<p>Karl<br>