1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

String line isn't cutting it with the Echo SRM-230 . . .

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exact Rototilling, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I have a over grown yard weed cleanup in a few weeks and the few I did last year with my Echo 230 with the standard string line did not work all that well with heavier stalks.

What do the experts recommend here for heavier weeds? I know a beefier trimmer is better but how can I speed up the process with the 230? Metal cutting wheels etc.? What works better and what not to waste my $ on.

Any input?
  2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Try the square or the star shape lines. Don't use round or smooth twisted lines. The line has to be sharp and edgy. My Honda came with .105 quiet twisted lines, I have some .095 lines with sharp edge which I don't want to waste, I put it in, make a day and night difference. I just went and trim a yardful of waist height weeds today, went through them like nothing!!!!
  3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I already use the Echo .095 Cross fire line that does have a decent squared edge on it. Sure this line will cut through it but I was thinking of those metal cutting wheels or those plastic blades etc. Pros - Cons etc.

Yungman did you ever get the Mantis or Honda de-thatchcer attachment?

4. yungman

from Calif.

Have to convince my big boss( wife) I need one, my birthday is coming up!!!:laugh::laugh:

Sorry I don't know enough about the cutting wheels and plastic blades to say anything.
  5. 8307c4

8307c4 LawnSite Member
    from VA

I would get a small spool of 080 and use that.
    It will wear a little faster but you get more wound on the head so it makes up for that...
    And with a weaker trimmer the weight of the string is lighter so it will allow more rpm's, and thinner slices better.

I can probably back that recommendation on square or star shaped line as well.
    But thinner, not thicker.
    080 is what I run on my fs-100 4-cycle trimmer, never understood the need to bog it down with thicker stuff.
  6. yungman

from Calif.

After reading your reply, I felt embarrassing to try to advice a pro on what line to use!!! It just happen I did the yard on my rental property that I have been avoiding all this time because it was so out of control!!!! It turn out to be very easy after I change to the line and I was so excited. I wonder the other poster is right that using smaller diameter is better. I went from .105 twisted smooth silent line to .095 edgy line and make a big difference, wonder .080 be even better for smaller size engine.

Don’t take me that serious: I was reading up the catalog, sounds like for SRM230, you have to get the Pro Maxi-Cut II or Tri-Cut Plastic blade that require blade conversion kit. The metal Weed blade and the Cleaning Saw blade does not specified to need conversion kit but the choice of Echo metal blades are very limited. I was looking and both Shindaiwa and Redmax catalogs. They have a wider selection of metal blades. I wonder whether the hole size is the same or close that you can modify to put it on. Just a thought. If you have thought about this, just laugh at me!!!

BTW, you have all the little tillers I want, between the Honda FG110 and Mantis with Honda engine, which one you like better and why? How does Honda compare with the two cycle one?
  7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

When my buddy clears his right of way, he puts a brush blade on his trimmer. Basically a circular saw blade made for your trimmer. Echo makes them for your stuff.

It makes quick work of the woody weed stalks. They laugh at trimmer line of any type. Basically the Redmax reciprocator would be your next best option.
  8. 8307c4

8307c4 LawnSite Member
    from VA

That would be the other option, I never got used to those circular blades but speaking from a safety point of view I am sure they are far safer than those other metal blades... I can't stand the thought of some metal piece breaking off at one point, the circular blades don't break, that's for sure.

As for trimmer line, which is better, thin or thick, round or square, etc, etc?
    How I found out, I bought several of the little spools, one of each kind.
    It costs a bit of money upfront but once I went through all of that I knew exactly what string I would forever use.

For myself it's 080 round, been using it for a good 5 years.
    But that's just me and it could be different for you, why I say, get several of those small spools, the smallest they sell...
    Not in terms of thickness, but quantity (by the way, trimmer line is sold by weight but they didn't want you to know that).
    So a thicker line or a thinner line, if it's the same size spool it's as much material either way (thicker lasts longer but you get more length of thinner).
    They both last about as long, there's more wound of the thinner, less of the thicker, if it's 3 pounds it's 3 pounds.
    But try each one, go through a few kind and see what you like, then once you have your favorite buy the big nasty drum of that kind and you're set.