1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

String trimmer Acting strange

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grass-scapes, Apr 21, 2005.

1. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, I have a JD XT120 String trimmer. Third year of service. No problems....Till now. The engine is making a noise like a car engine low on oil. I have also lost power, most noticably when I turn it sideways to trim a bed edge. Am I about to lose this trimmer? Should I get another one right away? My backup trimmer is damaged and Im waiting on parts. May be a while on it. the engine gets extremely hot, too. It sounds a lot like there is string tangled in the head, but I checked...its all free.

anyone else had that same problem?

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to tell but, check the easy things. Air cleaner, or loss of power often comes from a plugged exhaust port. Pull the exhaust can and take a peak.

3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure your mix is at least 50:1. If it isn't you will fry the engine.

4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

come on dude, IM not perfect, but I didn't start mowing yesterday. LOL. I use the same mix in all my 2 stroke equipment. gas is 50:1 I took off filter and muffler and muffler has air flow. Filter is fairly clean. It might be time to replace the trimmer.

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Sprak plugs ok? Any seals gone bad in it?

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Clean the carbon out of the muffler and cylinder, another possibility is a bad clutch if you run your line out alot more than its suppose to have this will burn up the clutch. Both will make the trimmer sound differently.

7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have a spark retarder on the exhaust port? It's a small screen. If it does, they get fouled up with carbon deposits. I just pull them out lol and leave them out. Our grass doesn't get dry enough to worry about sparks catching fire.

8. lawn gonzo

lawn gonzo LawnSite Member
    from texas

Get a shindaiwa!!!! I tell ya, either I got a good batch, or they just plain kick azz, cuz just today I was marveling to myself how good this schit is, once warm, one pull starts, etc. don't think I'll ever buy anything else until I get a lemon or something, gotta give up up Stihl, except for my chainsaws, cause I've had way too much trouble with'em considering all I've heard. later

9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

3 seasons on 1 trimmer? yea, Id say its time for a new one. We go thru trimmers every season or two. I have around 7 or 8 trimmers at last count. Always have backups. If u dont have a whole lot of accounts, Im sure u can get several years out of a good trimmer, but ours rack up a lot of hours fast.

10. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Like the others said, check the exhaust screen. Had one clog up on me and until I was made aware of it I went nuts trying to figure out why my trimmer wouldn't run right. Good luck!