1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

String Trimmer Alternatives

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bergs4, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bergs4

bergs4 LawnSite Member

I've spent the good part of the summer and early fall battling fungus on my lawn and now have finally gotten the lawn to look healthy. The string trimmer I use to edge around beds and at fence lines cuts the grass very roughly which I'm concerned is just going to create wounds where fungi can take hold easily. Has anyone held success with manual grass shears, and if so, can you recommend a model that you're happy with (assuming the site policies allow this)? Ideally I'd like something that doesn't require getting on all fours. I'm guessing the whole yard requires about 250 feet of edging work. Thanks in advance.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

3. bergs4

bergs4 LawnSite Member

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Have you used one?

4. Darryl G

I haven't used that model but that's the kind of thing I used when I was a kid, before string trimmers were invented. Some of them even had wheels. They work, just a lot slower than a string trimmer.

What size and shape of trimmer line are you using now?

5. bergs4

bergs4 LawnSite Member

I have a black and decker cheapo model (I think it was like $50 at home depot). It's battery powered.

6. Darryl G

Probably running a fairly thin round line on it then. The reviews on those shears are pretty good.

7. bergs4

bergs4 LawnSite Member

I might give them a shot. At around 30 bucks, it's not going to be a huge loss if they are horrible.

8. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Using string trimmer line effectively and efficiently comes with technique and practice.
    It sounds like you could use more of both since your concerned about secondary issues due to in proper use of your line trimmer is causing fungus. Although the fungus problem you have mentioned could be related to the use of a line trimmer, another cause
    more likely is due to to much moisture. Fungus needs moisture to thrive and grow.
    Manual edging or trimming devices may help. All the best.
    easy-lift guy

9. Darryl G

You can always still use them in places where it's hard to use the string trimmer...corners, near A/C units and phone wires and such. I have hand shears that I use for that type of stuff, but they don't have a long handle.

10. bergs4

bergs4 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I monitor the moisture religiously and when I do water, only do so at 4:30 in the morning so that the wet time of the canopy is reduced.