1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

String Trimmer Alternatives

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bergs4, Oct 10, 2012.

1. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Depending on the amount of water used and frequency, it sounds like your watering to early in the morning to allow enough moisture to burn off with the morning sun. The more moisture applied the longer it has a chance to do more harm than good.
    easy-lift guy

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Redmax Reciprocator, Kawasaki TurboBlade, or the Maruyama Landscape Blade. Those tools cut the grass straight across like scissors or shears. You will want a straight bladed edger for sidewalks, driveways or patios. The shearing cutters are not to be used vertically to edge. Horizontal cutting only.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Why can't you use the shears to cut vertically? The head rotates.

4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Becuse the blades are designed to cut more at a lateral angle instead of up and down. Also the blades wear out very fast when trimming like an edger and are O so expensive to replace!.
    easy-lift guy

5. bergs4

bergs4 LawnSite Member

Update --

I ordered the Fiskars and used them. Basically scissors on a stick. The blades are sharp and cut cleanly. The downside is I've been spoiled by power equipment -- they are going to take a long time to do edging and I'm sure I will get strange looks from neighbors. However, I think I will use them at least until I feel like the lawn has matured enough to where it will be able to withstand stress.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I've found that when you're doing something that will make the neighbors think you're nuts, it's best to remove all doubt...perhaps there's a silly costume you could put on while doing it with this song blasting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4EVj76htYs

7. bergs4

bergs4 LawnSite Member

Haha, that is not a bad idea.