1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

String Trimmer attatchments - any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Oct 7, 2002.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used any of the plastic or other type of blades with any success? I was just wondering if they were good for anything at all.
  2. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

The metal blades are great for small brush clearing.. It's like you're a ninja with metal blades whirring around. Just don't hit a thick tree or a rock cause the metal tip will break, shooting it off in any distance it may go..

I only used the metal ones now. I had the plastic and all 3 cracked in about 6 minutes of use, no joke.. The metal onces are where it is at..
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used just about every type of Stihl blade and string so if you tell me what your trying to do I can offer a recommendation.

The plastic blades (stihl type) do work well in the right application.

What type of trimmer you using?
  4. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

The plastic blades are for at most, large weeds, do not try to use them in any kind of brush. If you have your owners manual, it might show you a list of the different types or attachments/blades and uses for each. I bought my FS85 2 years ago, and it has it. In either case, you could go to your local dealer, or go to this link, and it will give you a list of the available heads/blades:

Good Luck.