string trimmer choice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ccorts, Mar 29, 2004.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

What is the string trimmer of choice for quality and ease of use? Is it fair to say that most of the commercial guys prefer the straight shaft models? I assume this is for ease of use rather than quality of finished job. I would just like a quality, easy to load trimmer that has plenty of power and will last!! Suggestions please.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Husky 325lx :cool:
  3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

shindiawa t230 or t260
  4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

only equpiment we use...
  5. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Shin T230 or T270, never used a 260. Dont go w/ a curved shaft
  6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Echo - Husqvarna- Stihl – RedMax - Shindiawa are all good trimmers: just get a commercial trimmer. There are a lot of things that make a trimmer a great tool. Weight, balance, power, longevity, parts availability and dealer support. I have noticed some of the ads will say their trimmer weighs less than another but when you pick them up side-by-side there is a big difference. So don’t believe everything you read, try them out for yourself! The 325 lx that John was talking about is very light for the power they have. I have a several Echo’s that have been great. But I will be switching brands because of dealer support. Did I mention how light the Husky was? Hehe
    Good luck and keep an open mind!
  7. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I am curious as to why you recommend that I stay away from the curved shaft. Is it because of fatigue?
  8. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

Honda trimmers are great. It is all we use now, and yes straight shaft is less fatige, no bending, and curved shaft are cable drive. the 4 stroke hondas are quiet, and use straight gas and start on the first pull plus honda reliability
  9. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Hey clcare i see you said horda 4 strokes use straight gas... So they have a seperape oil tank?
  10. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

4 stroke motors are like your car motor or lawn mower motor change your oil once or twice a year and it will run for ever check them out at honda power equipment on the net, they don't smoke like a 2 stroke so you don't smell like oil when your done.