string trimmer drippin' gas...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sailinstud420, Sep 6, 2005.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey any idea why my string trimmer (echo srm230) is leaking gas out the carb? It seems to run fine, but when I am all done and hang it up on the wall it starts dripping gas out the air filter cover. I don't think the pressure relief thing-a-ma-bobber is the problem, but what causes those to not work, and are they supposed to pop open somehow?

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Check a couple other things, I have had my 260's leak and look like it was right out of the carb but actually turned out to be something else. The few things I have found are; cracked primer bulb, broken and missing vent line cap, cracked fuel line, and check out the gas cap area, make sure gasket is there and intact and, if it had a little plastic holder that holds the cap when you take it off, sometimes it would get caught in the gasket when tightening the cap. Hope for one of these problems as they are all cheap easy things to fix. Good luck.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah there's like a dead-end line hangs out near my air-filter on the srm-260s, not sure what it is but it's fuel and like the other guy said, check ALL the fuel lines and the primer bulb and if all that is good, REMOVE the air filter cover so as to get a better look as to where the fuel is coming from...
    One might think, it is possible but I don't know if on such a small engine it exists...On my tiller with a larger Kohler, it leaked fuel and it was due to the float being stuck inside the carb's reserve but then it also leaked fuel at all times.

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i know echo recently recalled a bunch of their trimmers because of a faulty gas line. you may want to contact your dealer and see if yours is one they recalled.. all they do is put in a new line for you. takes about 5 seconds.

5. sailinstud420

I'll have to take a look at the fuel lines, I didn't notice anything, but it is a brand new trimmer, so I didn't really suspect that to be the problem. I am sure whatever it is, it is an easy fix, there is nothing complicated about these two strokes...

If echo is recalling stuff, why the *&%* don't they contact their consumers? I sent in all my warranty stuff!!

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the vent to me. Like someone said above, check the line that looks like it has a cap-like thing on it...it may need changing.

7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

We actually used to see this quite a bit with all the 2400 series trimmers and stick edgers. It is actually coming out of the carb, soaking your air filter and leaking down once air is no longer being drawn through it. It is the result of your machine running too rich for the available air flow and caused by one of two things. Either your air filter itself is dirty/plugged and not allowing flow or the spark arrester or muffler port is clogged with carbon buildup, restricting air flow out that side. You can check those things or it may even just need the carb adjusted. The bonus will be better power and fuel efficiency.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

New trimmer isn't likely to have port closed. I would look closely at making sure the two gas lines are fitted up tight and the rubber device at the inlet into the tank is secure in place. I would also look for loose screws on the purge bulb(four screws). I have seen a new 230 leak and never found anything specific. The good part is that it didn't continue constantly. I also thought it might be high temperature can cause a lot of pressure inside the tank when it is full. I don't think the vent allows outflow only inflow but if the pressure builds maybe it damages the vent. Hang the vent out away from the trimmer to see if gas is leaking out from it.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

well my kaw was doing the same thing and it was the needle seat had a hole in it of course my trimmer is 6 years old tho.

10. sailinstud420

I am about positive it is leaking out of the carb like someone said. Come to think of it the trimmer is sometimes harder to start than my edger (pe230) which I can get to go on the first pull every time, (two years old) It normally takes a good bit of pulls with the choke on then a few more with the choke off to get it going good.

Is it possible that the needle is set a little rich from the factory for break-in? I guess I will try leaning it out some, How sensitive are the needles? Is there a high and low speed needle? I am very familiar with r/c cars and boats (nitro engines) but I really have never had to mess with any of my wackers or blowers.....