1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

String Trimmer Guard or NO Guard.... Advantage??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SoloMow, Feb 12, 2005.

1. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

I am gearing up for my second full season in the business. My question concerns the removal of safety guards on string trimmers. I read where some LCO's on this site remove string trimmer safety guards immediately. I have trashed my worn out, start-up trimmers (Lowe's & Home Depot :( ) and purchased a new Kawasaki KTR27A. What are the advantages/disadvantages of taking the safety guard off?? Thanks.
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i leave them on and when they wear out i replace them, they do give some protection. most of all they keep the string at a length that keeps the engine at max. rpm. when the gaurd is off the string always seems to be to long and the engine works harder, before you know it youll be replacing the trimmer. tony
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

This comes up every year. It makes it easier to see what your doing and you can run the string alot longer without the guard. The "other side" will say that you could void your insurance for removing saftey equipment, or that OSHA will fine you. And we know how often your insurance company inspects your equipment, about as often as OSHA shows up when your working.
  4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I never use the guard either. Advantage for me is it's lighter and easier to control and I can see what I'm doing better. Disadvantage, easier to be hit by stones or anything else you might hit like dog crap or whatever. I always wear pants during work though so it has not been much of a problem for me. I suppose if you wore shorts you might get a little nicked up.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would never remove the guard. There is a reason for it being there. :)
  6. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

I have 2 Husqvarna 322s that I run without the guard. It's just a preference for me. BUT, if you run without the guard you should wear some kind of eye protection, cause debris will fly. Dog crap sucks in the face, but rocks, sweet gum balls and pine cones can cause some serious irreversible damage. You will see many people using different techniques, and they are just that...techniques or personal preferences. I haven't had a problem with the line getting too long, or the engine bogging down.

7. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

First thing we do is strip the guards. Our dealer voids warranty without them on our Shindaiwa's, and I know that to long of line will tear the clutch up pretty bad. Just keep the guards handy in case. Always wear glasses either way, because those shields do not stop a thing anyway. They are there to keep line short and therefore torque at a peak high. We just think the T-260 are more balanced without shields.
  8. cmras24

cmras24 LawnSite Member

Guard always stay on even though it is easier to edge with it off.
  9. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I leave my on, I still get hit every now and then by something alway wear eye protection, I busted a window one time with the gaurd on so really to me there is no advantage or disadvantage. I think its a personal thing. :cool2:
  10. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I remove the guard it is easier to get into places and easier to edge.