String trimmer guard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, Apr 16, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I was just wondering if removing the string trimmer guard would make it easier to trim with. I have seen several companies around that have them removed. Logically it would seem that you could see what you're doing better.
    Just wanted to know how most of ya operate with a string trimmer, also if taking it off is a big safety hazard.
  2. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

There have been many threads concerning this subject.
    In a nutshell, the bottom line is it's probably 50/50 people who keep it on and who take it off. Your call.
    You may want to use the search feature to review previous posts.
  3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We have some on and some off. You need to keep an eye on the amount of string released, if too much its too much strain on the motor or even clutch i hear. If you leave the guard on it cuts it to length all the time =).
  4. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

George, I think I may be one of the few who leaves the guard on. Yes, could see better and cut a wider path but I feel they put them there for a reason. Not only for safety but to keep the line at a specific lenth. I am very concerned with saftey since I pay for workman's compenstation. Personally, I would take the guards off if I could figure a way to keep the line trimmed to manufacturers specs. Everyone has there own opinion on this subject. I suggest you try it both ways and see what works best for you. Even if you can see better, how much time will it save?
  5. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

If you wear shorts while you mow or use your trimmer to edge you better leave them on. It's bad enough what comes flying back at you with the guards on take them off and see what happens. Believe me, I've tried it both ways. I leave mine on.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I leave mine off, and i do wear shorts. Yes leaving them off will make you go through clutches faster, but they cost about $30, and i go through about one a year on each unit, so i feel that its well worth it.`
  7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You will go through clutches quicker and you will take some good shots to the shins, but I prefer to use my trimmers without the guard. I like running more string and with the bigger trimmers it can handle the extra string. I have watched my dealer change so many clutches, I started doing them on my own. I buy a bunch at the beginning of the year.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Mine come off as soon as I buy it. Makes production go up considerably.
  9. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

They put it there for a reason I leave mine on. Even with it on I get hit with a rock every now and then. I could not imagine trimming with it off, those rocks hurt pretty bad.
  10. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

without a doubt, remove the shield, performance definitely improves, a few more nicks to the shins but nothing that will leave a "mark"..........Lynn