string trimmer heads - what do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by The C Man, Apr 16, 2004.

1. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I found this page about trimmer heads... http://www.shindaiwa.com/trimhdguide/heads.html

I didn't realize there were so many choices. I figured a commercial string trimmer came with a good quality 'automatic' style head on it. That page shows heads that are Automatic, Manual, High & Low Profile, and then one that I'm most curious about, the Fixed-Line head. It says:

"One-piece die cast metal head. No moving parts to lose. First choice for many commercial users. Contains grooves in sides to prevent line shearing when head contacts solid objects. Permits cutting lower to the ground than any other line cutting attachment."

For those of you that have changed to a different trimmer head than the one that came with your trimmer, which style did you change to and why?

2. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Good question, I've been wondering that myself.
    And was is the secret to a "cooperative" wind on a automatic head?

3. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I use Husky trimmers and buy their heads. Which wear the button out in a short time.

Was out last year and had a head to wear out. I found a universal one at a near by hardware store to get it back up and running. When I got it home I thought that I would try something. Took two large flat washers and a 5/16 x 1/2" screw with a nut. Drilled a hole in the center of the button. Placed one washer on the inside of the head and the other out and secured them with the screw.

It held up through 1/2 of last season and still holding. The washer allows the head to ride on the ground and sidewalks without wearing on the plastic. I thought that the screw head would be the first to wear out. But it just got ground smooth.
    I am waiting for it to wear completly through. When it does I will then decide if it is something that I want to do with all of my heads.

[​IMG]

I beleive that it will double the life if the button on the Huskys.

4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Have used fixed, manual, and "bump". Diff. heads for diff. apps. To me it depends how long the line will last, as to which head to use. All have their place. (all made by Shindaiwa)
    On the 6" GreenMachine head now.

5. metro-hp_48

from TN

Well, to answer you question better, about the fixed head at least.
    I bought that one on the way to a horrible ghetto prop/vacant lot.

Needed a head that I could use with .155 line. Very quick to load. Simply have pre-cut lengths of line, and tie a knot it the middle and run each out @ 180 degrees. *Thanks to Paradise Lawns for that tip. (alot faster than their way of stringing it)
    Can be strung for 2 lines or 4 lines " l " "+"
    Very thin, so can cut close to the ground.

Like a manual head for diff. reasons. Save alot of line, since none can be advanced without rotating the head by hand. If used by the less experienced person, it will help to teach them how to make it last alot longer.

Love the 6" GreenMachine (style) head. Just like the originals, way back when all the Shinds. I used to see, had a green head.
    Holds twice the line, easy to disassemble/reassemble. (unlike the Shind. bump head, which only lines up 1 way, and once the line-up marks are wore off, it's a 25% chance of getting it right)
    (thought it was kinda cheesy that they only put a little bit of line on it, until I undid it, and it was as much as my Shind. would hold)

Like to run twice as long between re-stringings.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I liked the brain head that was on a tanaka trimmer I had years ago

7. grillonz

grillonz LawnSite Member

I run a manual feed alloy head. Ran the fixed line head till I found these. No more pre-cutting legths of line. I use is Stihl .130" line. The best I have found. Lasts well even when rubbing on concrete etc.
    Happy mowing
    James

8. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

Redmax has a great new head. Press two tabs to remove cover to gain access to string spool. String spool has the advance button molded in as an integral part and includes a steel wear plate on bottom. The button wears slowly because of the steel, and can be replaced by purchasing a new spool instead of a new head. The spool has a divider to keep the string from crossing. The cover has replaceable split eyelets that make installing the spool very fast. I keep extra spools on the truck, and can replace an empty spool in about 15 seconds.

This is a great bump head.

9. metro-hp_48

from TN

Sounds just like the Green Machine head I use, except mine comes in 4" or 6".
    Mine doesn't have the metal wear plate and no divider between the string, though.

10. Grassrootz

Grassrootz LawnSite Member

Where can you find one of these manual feed alloy heads?

Thanks..GRTZ