String trimmer line at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 2, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We bought a spool of this for one of our crews about two weeks ago. Have always used Stihl branded line in the past.

The Wal-Mart stuff is less than half the cost of the Stihl string. I think a spool of Stihl string is $30 at the dealership and the Wal-Mart string is around $13.

Anyone ever use this?

Feedback appreciated.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a few rolls thinking it was a good deal. I don't remember any complaints. I usually buy the round Stihl .95 (261 meters) for $25.00 plus tax when I go to my dealer for something.

I need to check how long the spool of the walmart stuff is.

every dollar counts.

How's DFW been?
  3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Ok, I suppose. I am dissappointed with my June results. May was outstanding but I had so many expenses come up in June it is unreal.

Honda 21's were breaking down like clockwork. Almost every problem was a self-propulsion issue.

One worker didn't put enough oil in one of the Hondas this Monday when we changed oil. The engine seized and it will cost me $550. He is right, the dip sticks are kind of hard to read. So now I have a measuring cup with a black line on 22 ounces. Going forward, they'll pour the oil into the measuring cup and then into the engine. The old "pour a little in and try to read the dipstick" method sucks because oil sticks to the pour tube and the dipstick touches the tube on the way down and it's too easy to mis-read.

I will start making all repairs myself to these machines going forward. Bought a manual from a dealer in another state that shows pictures of all the parts and their part numbers. That is going to be the thing that allows me to make the repairs myself. That way I can call the local dealer and say "I need part number XXXX" instead of driving up there to show him the part on a demo, ordering it, and then driving back a few days later to pick it up.

Just started doing the repairs myself this weekend, but from what I am seeing so far, there are only a few key parts on these machines that breakdown. It might make sense to replace all of these parts every winter and see how things go instead of waiting for them to fail.

Also, I am starting maintenance logs on each and every machine. That way, after a year, I can see exactly how much I am spending for repairs and make a smart decision with regards to buy a new one every year and sell it used on E-Bay a year later. The only thing I am not tracking is the time I am spending on it. That is a lot so far but if I can drop a few thousand more into my pockets each season, I guess I am willing to do it for the time being.

DFW Area Landscaper
  4. Probably a BETTER line from Wal-Mart. My logic is thqat Wal-Mart has a huge contract with Shakespere (the fishing line folks) so they get their other extruded line from them also.

I have a truckload of Stihl products but I don't go to Stihl for monofilament line.

5. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I use that red, 3 sided line from walmart. I have been running it for 7-8 years and I have had no problem with it. Seems to last alot longer than any other trimmer line I have tried.
  6. Ideal Lwns & Landscp

Ideal Lwns & Landscp LawnSite Member

we use the green .080 line. been using it for years and will use it as long as its available. we use to do 100 accounts a week and would go through about a spool and a half a season, but that's with using a stick edger on some jobs also.
  7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya DFW, The repairs , broken windows, and unexpected stuff kills me too. I had a $1000 repair on the stearing column of my F350, I thought they would just have to tighten it up for $50.00 or so LOL. Oh, and payroll taxes come up in July, that's always a good one to pay.

I have been lucky to hook up with a small engine mechanic who has his own business near my dealer. This mechanic can fix mowers fast, and he is cheap. Self propeller fixes are a pain. I hate ripping the back end off of my Toro's, too many parts, I won't do it.

I add a little oil and ckeck the dipstick method. I need a cup with a line. I have been adding some oil, firing up the mower, and waiting a little bit so that it drains down the tube.
  8. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Now the problem will be dust and grass clippings getting into the measuring cup. Guess I will keep lots of paper towels around.

DFW Area Landscaper
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i like the 3 sided shakesphere line from walmart too. good line for the $
  10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Walmart sells Poulan (Weed Eater) line. I've been using their .095, red, 5-sided line for three years and really like it. I buy 6-8, 4.5#-5# spools for around $9 each from a guy that sells their over-stock. I like it.

To protect your measuring cup from airborn debris, just put it into a large, sealable plastic bag and store it until needed again.