string trimmer mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

I know alot of you guys arent keen on these things, but.... there are alot of places that a mower can't go and there are lots of unseen rocks. If you have a lot to trim, the old string trimmer gets heavy swingin back and forth after 30-45 minutes. I would think even the cheaper model would help if you only had a handful of properties to use it own. IMHO. Those of you that use one, can you give any purchasing advice, brand , ect.

Thanks

Schlep

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I'm sure you'll get some other opionions on this but here's mine. I inherited a small echo trimmer from my dad after he died. Can't remember the model number but it's NOT a straight shaft and has one of the smller motors on it. It's got to be at least 10 years old if not older. Last year, I started my first year in the mowing business and by June had 23 accounts! This trimmer was my primary trimmer!! I popped a couple of feeder springs but other than that, it's been flawless.

I like the brand so much, i went to Home Depot and bought a Straight Shaft Trimmer brush cutter and A Blower, both by Echo. No complaints.

As for your back. My doctor said that I should stretch before and after I weed wack. My back sucks and his strects have really helped.

Strecthing:
    Start by standing straight up with your feet shoulder width apart. hands at your side, slowley lean back as far as you can without straining to much and hold it for a few seconds and then straighten. Repeat. Do this before and after you work.

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i personally would never use one. anything that the big mower cant get to the trim mower can, anything the trim mower cant get to my $200 + trimmer can.

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I rented one of the walkbehind string mowers a couple of years ago to do a 1 acre property that was mostly weeds and on real rough rocky ground. Too rocky for any kind of blade mower. Well after that expierience I found they are hard to push and manuver in that kind of terrain.And the string kept coming out of its holder. I ended up doing most of the job with my handheld trimmer.

5. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

I got one for free....I use it in "naturalized" areas, or in the edge of wooded properties. It has it's place.

I had one efore this one that I used to mow down Kudzu on my old property