String trimmer or Edger what to use??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green-Cuts, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

I need to find out what the thought is on haveing a stick edger VS using your string trimmer to edge. I have always used my string trimmer to edge at the house but not sure if that would be good enough for customers. Just wanted to get input on that, thanks for the input.

Brandon Jolley
  2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

look into get a trimmer that will take the edger attachment they come in handy..
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

search the toopic, discusses thousands of times.... some say only use stick edger, some say only use trimmer.....50/50
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

Hey PaulJ

What is edgeit and were can you get it??

Brandon Jolley
  6. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

On a professional basis I would most definitely use a stick edger. Steer away from wheeled edgers they are large and cumbersome. Almost every 2-cycle manufacturer now has "convertable" 2-cycle power units that can accept a trimmer and a stick edger attachment, as well as several others, which will minimize the cost of purchasing dedicated equipment.

You can as a general rule, not in all instances, get away with stick edging every 4-6 weeks, and cleaning up the edge slightly with a string trimmer. This minimizes the time spent when you do use an edger.
  7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

How about an electric edger? And how often do you do such work?
  8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

my opinion: stick edger looks better than trimmer. My thoughts on electric edger, trimmer, etc. is this. I personally do not want to ask the customer if I can plug into their electric to do work that we are hired to do. Again, this is JMO. I feel that it gives off the wrong impression.
  9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out
  10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a good point and it makes a lot of sense to me especially with the trimmer (not to mention an electric lawn mower, rofl) but I have persanally never edged, or done an edge. I do think I know what it is but I guess at this point I'm not too sure if I'll ever do any edging. I am going into lawn care this spring and I want to do it right... No you're right, gotta be gas, maybe I'll get an attachment thing and edge what? once a month? twice a season?

Hey, on a side note is there any such thing as a battery powered blower?