1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

String trimmer outer shaft?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Sep 29, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

My Shin T230 string trimmers are starting to have thier first problems after 3 seasons.

The head is starting to wobble because the single bolt that holds it on the outer shaft is stripped out and the hole has widened.
    My best guess is this is from jossling around in the trimmer rack when driving.

So anyway, I got a price of $40 for a new outer shaft. My question is, how difficult is this to swap out?
    Getting everything off the the outside will be easy enough (head, throttle assembly, engine), but what about the inner shaft? Does it just slide right out, or is it held in place somehow?

Thanks in advance.
  2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

ive had a couple tubes break on my echos the shaft will slide out if its a flex shaft you need to grease it while sliding it back in if the hole is worn on the outer tube i would drill a new hole on the other side if it is a straight shaft. I have replaced 3 at 20.00 each