1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

String Trimmer Poll

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Burger, May 30, 2004.

Which straight shaft trimmer do you use?

1. Stihl

30 vote(s)
  2. Echo

23 vote(s)
  3. RedMax

17 vote(s)
  4. Husqavarna

9 vote(s)
  5. Tanaca

2 vote(s)
  1. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

For the sake of argument we will keep it to straight shaft trimmers. Searching through the threads I have determined the following trimmers are in employ by various folks.
    Husqavarna (Not Husky)
    The Local LCO Supplier only sells tanaca straight shafts. Echo are available at home depot, Husqavarna's are sold at the ranch supply store, Stihl's are available just about anywhere. I have only seen red max named here, I have not found a local supplier.
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Seems you left out the best... Shindaiwa. ;)
  3. Hometown

Hometown LawnSite Member

I use echo 260s trimmers. I have a good dealer here. I don't really like the thought of dealing with the depot type stores.
  4. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

I also use Echo 260s trimmers and have also just purchased a new Honda 4-stroke
  5. Top Notch

Top Notch LawnSite Member

Around this area, Home Depot only sells up to the SRM-230 models. They are really a homeowner grade unit. You have to go to a specialty dealer to get an Echo 260.

I used one of the HD Echos for my first year and it did fine, but it was tired after a hard years usage.

Now, I run Stihl and am very satisfied.
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Shindaiwa....how did that get left out?
  7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have 2 Echo's #1 is my favorite it's a 2601 they don't make this one anymore #2 I put up with it's a HD 230 but i'm going to be getting rid of it soon for 2 reasons #1 too d@mn heavy #2 too little power it will be replaced by a Red Max or a Stihl maybe a Shin. I'm not sure yet. But if i could find another 2601 new i would buy it in a heartbeat.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You should start a new poll....take out "Tanaka" and put in "Shindiawa" and take out "Husqvarna" and put in "others".

Those 2 brands are probably the least popular and Shindiawa being one of the most popular.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a new Shin this summer after 15 years of Echos, just to try something.

3 things I noticed, 1 of which is my own fault.

1) The trimmer head on the Shin takes some getting used to, trying to push that little tab in while twisting, liked the style on my Echos better. Seems like once in a while there's some dirt or grass jammed in the head of the Shin and it's hard to get off.

2) I DO however like the Shin since I've yet to get a line tangle in it and stop and restring 1/3 - 1/2 way through the spool. I don't know if it's just me, or the way the head is designed that you're not getting too much play on the spool while trimming and therefore less likely to get a tangle.

3) This one is my own fault. I bought a 230 after using Echo 260's. I know I know, once you go with less power, less space, less anything but taxes, it's a bad move and there are times I do regret it.

Other than that, I think a trimmer is a trimmer is a trimmer. As long as you're comparing cc's to cc's, there's not much difference. If there was, one company would have 98% of the market share, all others -- 2%.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I love Stihl and the dealer support around here is great, 2 dealers only 15 miles apart from each other.