String Trimmer Productivity

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bucket, Mar 3, 2010.

1. bucket

bucket LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Does anyone have a feel for how much square footage 1 man can weed whack per hour? i have a bid that requires large areas of string trimming and trying to get an idea.

thanks.

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on what you're using. What kind of trimmers do you have?

3. bucket

bucket LawnSite Member
    from midwest

we are using 4 mix stihl fs90r's.

4. mds2000

mds2000 LawnSite Member

It all depends of what you are trimming how overgrown it will be. Best way is to meaure off a couple hundred feet and get someone to time you but remember dont rush it go at an honest pace because at the end of a day of trimming you wont be rushing.
    What kind of head are you using if its a blade keep a couple of sharp ones on hand saves filing on site and if its trimmer line go from .095 to .105 it will last a bit longer and store it in water you will get about 3-4 times the life out of it and make sure you have a couple of extra spindles on hand to save down time.

5. fatguy28

fatguy28 LawnSite Member

why dose soking your trimmer line in water make it last 3-4 times longer

6. mds2000

mds2000 LawnSite Member

it keeps the line moist if you dont it dries out and gets britle (like a piece of spaggetti). I thought it was crazy till i tried it i just cut a bunch of lengths put them into some lockable tupperware half full of water and your off just dont knock it till you have tried it.

7. fatguy28

fatguy28 LawnSite Member

i'll have to try it thanks