String Trimmer size

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&R Landscaping, Jan 21, 2007.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What Size trimmers do you guys run? Base model smaller units (Echo SRM-210) or larger more powerful units (Echo srm-261)? I am looking for responses just for standard trimming/edging applications. I am not looking to put a blade on or anything like that.

Currently I am running an Echo SRM-210 and a Shindaiwa T-20 as a back-up. I am considering getting a SRM-230 or a similar sized Shindaiwa or Redmax for the spring. Are the bigger trimmers worth it for just basic work? Those who run multiple sizes, how much if any time savings do you notice?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl 100 (I think) & 110. Redmax ??? as back-up also.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My main use trimmer is a six-year old RedMax BC2300. The best trimmer ever made for everyday work.

My back-up and "big gun" is a Shindaiwa T270.

4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a RedMax BCZ2400 and 2600. Both have enough power, the 2600 has just a bit more. I usually choose the 2600 first.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

For just regular trimming a 20cc unit will do ok.
    I suggest the Robin NB20 if you want something real light with some guts(8lbs).

The RedMax version of it is like 9lbs and is just a toy (I posted a review here).

I personally see no point in the mid-range trimmers.
    Most of them weigh just as much as the 25cc + units... just less power.

I like the 25cc + units because I tend to do a bit of "mowing" with my trimmers.
    In other words, I seldom ever use a trim mower.
    So I like my trimmers to be able to sling a 20"+ swath of string.

Stihl's FS80 is a good choice in this range because it used the same engine as the FS85 (R.I.P.)
    But it does have the cable drive... which brings it to 11 lbs.

I bought a RedMax BCZ2600S to replace one FS85 and it's up to my tasks so far.

If I had it to do over again though, I would have went down the road for acceptable pricing and bought a BCZ3000S instead. Same weight as the 2600, but 30cc

6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

If it was me I would buy another SRM-261T the price is $270 and for the SRM-230 is $230.....For $40 I would just go with the SRM-261T much more power plus they weigh the same 10.2lbs....

Just my .02

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My big gun is a Redmax bcz2600...with the Echo srm-230 as a back up. The Redmax 2600 is very powerful.

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Similar to what Envy posted, go with light for basic trimming. Find the lightest commercial trimmer for basic grass trimming. What we have done, though, is use the heavy (.095) string in the light trimmers. Anything lighter than that is just annoying to use (IMHO). You are going to want a bigger trimmer for other jobs (stick/blade edging, brush cutting, etc.). We use Echo trimmers (I forget the what the models are).

Whenever guys need to string trim, they ALWAYS grab the lightest trimmer in the trailer.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Redmax 2400's and 2600's

10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use Stihl FS90s with .105 line. I can change them out and put blades on them, but I have not. I use them fro normal trimming, some trim side type mowing and for Bed edging and sometimes sidewalk edging.

I have used the FS130, and did not see alot of difference.