string trimmer upgrade

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rb_in_va, Oct 4, 2006.

1. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

I have a cheap string trimmer that uses .065 string. I would like to use .095 string in this trimmer until I can get a decent unit. Is this possible? I know I know, I should just plunk down $250-300 for a new heavier duty trimmer from my dealer, but can't right now. I'm only cutting my own yard.
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

You don't need to spend that much when you can buy a Shindaiwa trimmer that is very light and has plenty of power for under $200.00 go to their web site @
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You might be able to run it for a month or so before the extra strain on the cheap engine causes it to seize up. Also, it may not be possible depending on the trimmer head you have. The hole size may not be large enough to take .095 line.

MANICURED LAWNS LawnSite Member

Consider Kawasaki trimmers very light compared to stihl and echo very powerful too actually switched from all stihl hand tools to kawasaki hand tools they are very impressive and its nice to be able to lift your arms after a full day. I paid $200 for a 27cc straight shaft. We have two with over four years on them and no problems.
  5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you can drill the holes out on the head but a cheap unit swinging a .095 from a .065 will not cut as well because it will lower the rpm's.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

check out robin trimmers...........nb2050........around 200 bux and only weighs 8.5 pounds, and has a steel driveshaft that accepts a brush blade. I have 3 and the oldest is in its 4th season and purrs like a kitten

7. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Good feedback guys. I never thought about fact that the motor would have trouble spinning the larger string. Maybe I can pick up a deal on a decent used trimmer, being that it is the end of the mowing season.