String trimmer vs. Edger

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Texas Lawn, Nov 15, 2010.

What do you use for edging yards?

1. String Trimmer

72 vote(s)
  2. Edger

75 vote(s)
  1. Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how many of you use an edger when edging your yards and how many of you use a string trimmer. I have always used a string trimmer. Every now and then I would need a bladed edger if there was a build up. I have a buddy who says edger or nothing and wanted to get some others thoughts.
  2. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

well it depends, if your edging grass, a string trimmer. when the edge builds up with dirt then use the stick edger. you kinda answered your own question!
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Tough Floratam looks way better after using an edger. Some customers like to see the deep cut in the dirt too. A stick edger is more comfortable if you have a lot to do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

MLAWCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Same I think about how little I use my edger its almost not worth having
  5. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

Stick Edger down here in the south to battle the creeping bermuda grass. I have to edge my bermuda lawn accounts on a weekly basis during the growing season to keep a nice clean STRAIGHT line.
  6. mrlandscaper

mrlandscaper LawnSite Member

I would just use the Edger in the spring when first putting in edges for the season, other than that you should only have to use the trimmer if you keep up with the edges.
  7. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Member

same here i use my kee edgers with trenching blade for beds and normal blades for lawn edging in the spring or when nessecary after that i keep up with the edges with a line trimmer. in fact to make it easier i bought a cheap curved shaft echo gt200 and its less awkward then using a striaght shaft to maintain.
  8. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't pay $300+ for my edger to sit on the trailer. I use it daily on pretty much every lawn. The ones that I don't use it on simply don't need edged at all. I think it looks much better.
  9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with your buddy. I have straight shaft and curved shaft edgers for different needs, but always use a edger. Here in Texas with Bermuda, St Augustine and some Zoysia a edger does a better job period. I have seen several people in my area say they just use a trimmer and it is faster and looks fine but to me it looks like crap compaired to a edger and I have not met a single person with a trimmer that is faster than me with a edger. There are some areas in back yards that I just use a trimmer, but never in front.
  10. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

This is why you use a stick edger....especially down here as many of the southern guys have said , our turf needs it .....but notice how clean the lines are on this property? Enough said