String trimmer vs. Edger

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Texas Lawn, Nov 15, 2010.

?

What do you use for edging yards?

1. String Trimmer

72 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. Edger

75 vote(s)
    51.0%
  1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I'm talking about. You can't get that with a string trimmer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

For the first edging of the year or a new overgrown account, I break out my walk behind edger. After that I use my stick edger most of the time. Towards the end of the season, I may use my trimmer on a couple of accounts. The stick edger leaves a better cut. Also I find myself having to restring my trimmer alot more when I use it to edge.

3. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

agreed. Bermuda looks awesome when properly edged with an edger. I think if your looking for quality in your lawn maintenance you should always use an edger. As good as you are with a trimmer (im pretty good) an edger will always have better results. We are pros not homeowners and our work should reflect that. Like always though to each their own.

4. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I'm talking about, clean, straight lines.
    Edger or nothing.

5. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Me i dont have an edger yet.when i get one next season im getting a stick edger.but for first edge of the season i will borrow a friends its a walk behind edger.thats the first cut of the season then next time and through the whole season i will use my echo straight shaft trimmer.and it works great.never no problems using the trimmer to edge,but as lawnkingforever has said.u go though alot of line.same with me i have to restring quite a few times.

6. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

A quality stick edger should be able to power through you first cut of the season.....so I am not sure I would invest the money in a walkbehind.....but rather use that money towards a quality stick edger that can handle the rough stuff you will encounter at the first of the season. The blades of your turf types in IL are much smaller and finer than ours.....and I can go to a overgrown property and get through several inches of overgrown St. Augustine on the sidewalk without any issues, so I would assume your finer blade turf would be no different.

7. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah.thats what i said im getting stick edger.sorry if i meant walk behind.i borrow my friends which is a walk behind.sorry about that.and plus i think it will be good too.yes u are right,i assume too.i have my eye on a husqvarna stick edger.or a echo of course lol.either one of thoose.

8. nolanjim

nolanjim LawnSite Member

Stick edger, they leave the best cut so that's what we use and what the customer deserves.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Leroy_1

Leroy_1 LawnSite Member

Edger is the only "right" way to go IMO.

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I will use the edger to establish an edge at the beginning of the year or on a lawn that has not been maintained in a while. After that I use the string trimmer with an Edgit for all edging and trimming.