String trimmer vs. Edger

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Texas Lawn, Nov 15, 2010.

?

What do you use for edging yards?

1. String Trimmer

72 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. Edger

75 vote(s)
    51.0%
  1. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

Im really good with a string trimmer so for the most part it depends how much im acutally edging.. its its like zip zip zip and your done i use the trimmer if its 40 plus yards i grab the stick cause its just faster

2. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Edging does a better job. Even if you are the 5% that can do as good of a job with a trimmer, I wouldn't want to count on it or get my crew used to it.

3. TheGoat

TheGoat LawnSite Senior Member

If I have a tool designed for the task, I use that tool for the task. It's faster and leaves a better finished look.

4. crslolbkr

crslolbkr LawnSite Member

Edger at first, trimmer to maintain, edger to cut out the soil that tries to settle back to the edge.

5. Mr.LaVere

Mr.LaVere LawnSite Member

My business is all about quality! We only use STIHL stick edgers! I have a property with several hundred feet of edging and the stick edger is WAY WAY faster and cuts a PERFECT edge! Now along a concrete wall where the grass grows up against it or something like that is different. But for driveways and sidewalks it's gotta be a stick edger! Much more professional! IMO

6. holmesgts

holmesgts LawnSite Member

I would prefer my people use a trimmer to edge. Stick edgers kick up so much dirt and deposit it on the hard surface it takes twice as long to blow off the sidewalks. Heaven help if it rains before you blow or someone runs over the dirt with the tractor. It may take a while to train but I insist everyone learns to edge with a trimmer. stick edgers also transfer around an insect called ground pearl that we have big a big problem with in my region. It's also more efficient to get everything done in one pass and not having to walk the property twice, once to trim and once to edge. If you are well trained you can't tell the difference what was used.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  7. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Edger. To me it's quicker and neater on our southern turfs.

8. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I use all 3, stick, walkbehind and trimmer. Depends on the day and conditions.

9. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. I am one of the 5% that can edge with a trimmer. I still prefer a stick edger. It leaves a cleaner line no matter how skilled people think they are. The only time I edge with my trimmer is in October and November when the season is winding down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

im an edger guy too. the ONLY time I use a string trimmer to edge is when a property has sprinkler heads installed too close to the curbs. In those cases, we use the trimmer line to ensure the heads arent broke off. Other than that..edger for me