1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

String trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shubble72, Aug 20, 2006.

1. shubble72

shubble72 LawnSite Member

I need a little advise on a good weedeater that will be used mainly once a week for trimming and i need it to be able to add a blade for some brush occasionally. I like the stihl 100rx but i dont know if i can add a brush blade for not much money. I dont like the bike handles and prefer the loop. Thanks for all the input.
  2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

The 100rx is a great trimmer for commercial use, and especialy good if your only using it once a week. I am unsure if it accepts a blade though. Just go to your local dealer and you can get all the specs and options there.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

100RX will NOT accept a blade atleast stihl recommends you dont add one since it has a flex shaft on it. Next one up is the 110 which has a solid shaft and will accept a blade.

I had a 100RX which was very good for me. Lightweight and had enough power to get anything within reason done. No 4 ft high grass flats are comming down but almost anything else was annihilated by it. That was stolen and now I have a FS130R which has more power than god and can accept a blade and or different gearbox attachements. Only complaint I have about the 130 is it is one heavy mutha.
  4. shubble72

Which is the best to add a blade if needed, It doesnt matter what kind I just want reliabilty and it must be easy to start season after season.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

110 if you are looking to add a blade. Priced around 380 I believe.
  6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of guys I know run the att. on the 100rx with no problems at all. I know what the Stihl page says.
  7. shubble72

So a 100 RX will accept a metal blade?
    Also what other brands are comparable?
  8. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

The 100 has no problems handling a blade.
  9. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

no a fs110rx does not take a blade cause the thing does not have a solid shaft. now a fs90r has a steel shaft and can use one. im not sure of the 100rx.
  10. MountainMow

MountainMow LawnSite Member

Husqvarna 323l. Cost you about 299.00. Will take blade. For once a week use, will probably last forever :)