String Trimmer

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by CBRmanimal, Apr 5, 2009.

1. CBRmanimal

CBRmanimal LawnSite Member

I'm looking to purchase a new string trimmer. I've previously used a Stihl FS76 which had me sold on Stihl forever. Absolutely no issues with it at all and it even held up when I ran it over with a skip loader =) Unfortunatly that was stolen when I lent it out. I then purchased a FS80 which I didn't like due to the flex shaft, I felt lots of vibration and it didn't seem to have the nice solid feel the FS76 did, someone did me the favor of stealing that one too and now I need to cut down the forest of weeds that are around the house. I bought a echo from homedepot to just get me over, man its junk. It will be going back within the 90 days.

I'm open to Stihls, Shindaiwas, Tanakas whatever is a die hard like my old FS76. All suggestions and reviews will be appreciated.

I'm thinking FS85R, FS85RX, TBC230 or the T242 but its been so long since I've looked into them I have no idea what is the top model to have now.

Hey I'm still running a TORO PB400 ;)

Thanks guys
    I'm new to the forum too.

2. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a FS 90R. It has a solid straight shaft and you can put blades and other gearboxes on it. Works great! $323 out the door.

3. meicher806

meicher806 LawnSite Senior Member

stihl all the way

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

go with another STIHL

5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

They dont make the FS 85 anymore...it's either the FS 80 or the 4 mixes. I have the FS 90 R myself and it's a good trimmer...a few carb problems but not much else wrong with it.

6. green monster

green monster LawnSite Member

For light weight and good power and a unit that will run for many years, the SRM-210 or the new version with same engine, the SRM-225 can't be beat. If you need more power, go with the SRM-265. Check the EPA minimum durabilty ratings on the labels of the equipment.

In the price range of the ECHO SRM-210 and SRM-225, the Stihl trimmers are category C (50 hours) and the ECHO's are 300 hours (category A). A is the best rating you can get. The ECHO engines will run 1,200 hours or more with any care at all. Also, compare the warranties. You want a die hard, then buy an ECHO.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Echo Shindaiwa or Redmax. All have there goods and bads.

8. CBRmanimal

CBRmanimal LawnSite Member

I ended up with the Shindaiwa T242 pretty happy with it so far. Good balance and power. Still miss the old FS-76 though. I'm sure it would have still be around for another decade.

9. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

What about the redmax BCZ2401S

10. Disgruntled_Veteran

Disgruntled_Veteran LawnSite Member

Have the same one , Love that bad boy... No vibration at all and starts one pull everytime .. :weightlifter: