1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

string trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfoky, Apr 19, 2002.

1. dfoky

dfoky LawnSite Member

Looking to replace a blown out string trimmer and have been getting lots of different answers on "brands."

Started thing "Stihl," then switched to "Echo" and now my dealer has me about 95% talked into "Shindaiwa."

Money is tight so I'm looking at the Shin T230. $249 US

The same cash puts me in an Echo 2400.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I really like my echo 2400sb. i dont think you can really get hurt no matter which way you go.
  3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone looked into the husky line of trimmers, saw one tonight at Lowes and it looked pretty solid .
  4. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

My Shindaiwa T270 is great, but at $400...
    I would get a T230 in a heartbeat if we needed another trimmer, but Dad is perfectly content with his Homelite K400, only he doesn't work on it, I do. :D

If you do get a Shindaiwa, remove the spark arrestor screen, just take out 1 screw from the end of the muffler and pull it out.
    My spark arrestor was clogged up within a couple months.
  5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Spark arrestors can be cleaned with brake parts cleaner.
    If you use a good oil like Amsoil you probably won't need to clean or remove your spark arrestor.
  6. sunrise

sunrise Banned

shindaiwa t230 is a great pick and for the money is well worth it.
    the echo 2400 is also a good pick. I myself own one of each the 230 in trimmer and edger also edger and trimmer in echo but the trimmer I dont like as much as the 230. But it up to the person who runs it
    good luck and happy trimming
  7. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

Rumor has it, the ground crew for heaven, uses Echo.
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

choppers too i hear....
  9. GCS LawnService

GCS LawnService LawnSite Member

I use the Honda UMK431 4 Stroke trimmers and have had good performance out of them. They usually run approximately $350.00 per trimmer.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I like my stihl fs85's. They have great power and the price is very good. I have a lot of hours on them and they still run like new.