String Trimmers for 2003?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simone Lawn Service, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Looking to get a new string trimmer this season-any suggestions. Good or bad experiences with any particular models. (My dealer never seems to be much help).

Thanks guys,

2. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FS 85 is the best trimmer I have ever used!

3. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Redmax and John Deere. Well I now have all Deere's and I am very happy with them.

4. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

Stihl FS85.

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo

6. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I use the echo 260s I have 2 new ones this year but I also have a stihl it is the big straight shaft I don't remember the number on it but my guys like it more then the echos and it is even older and everything but hey I am not arguing lol I think they are both good machines but we have a good echo dealer here and I never use the sthil guys anymore.

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Simone Lawn Service -- maybe you should be looking into a new supplier, if your current one wont let you demo a trimmer or isn't knowledgeable about his product move on.. Do not get hung up on a single brand name there are lots (well many) great trimmers just waiting for you. I would lean toward a trimmer that meets the 48 state requirements, it wont be running quite as lean as the California model and should last a bit longer. Consider the weight of the machine - in this case bigger is not always better - something in the 24 - 26 cc class should meet all your grass/weed trimming needs.
    BobR

8. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up a Shindaiwa T230 last year and love it. It has the power of the Stihl FS85(which I also have) but with less weight. I just added an articulated hedge trimmer to it and it works great. Another model to consider is the Kawasaki. They seem to have very good reviews.

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Echo all the way man!

I run 2 260's and a 210. Minimal problems, the 260 has great power.

10. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

Husqvarna 326L or 323L very lightweight.