String Trimmers, Good, Bad, Ugly?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Peter J, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Peter J

Peter J LawnSite Member

Hi y'all! Newbie to this forum looking for advice.

I'm not in the business, but figured those that are would be the best ones to ask about equipment. Looking to replace ancient Echo curved shaft trimmer. Not a heavy user...about 15-20 minutes a week, but do like good tools that last. The Echo I have is at least 15 years old and still works OK, but I prefer the balance on the straight shafts I've hefted. Function and reliability are prime concerns. Four strokes are interesting... and spendy! I wonder if their only reason to exist is because of EPA.

I like to steer clear of the Big Box stores if possible so have looked at local shops that sell to commercial gear. One has Stihl and Shindaiwa, the other Echo. The Stihl and Shindaiwa guy tells me that Echo is not what it used to be, and pushed the Shin...says it's aimed at commercial users.

I'm leaning towards the Echo or Shin... What do you guys like?

Thanks for your comments.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

niether i would go with Redmax if i were you
  3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree!!!
  4. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

Of the choices that you have...

Go with the Echo SRM-260 series trimmers. Great power , lightweight etc...
  5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right, Echos aren't what they used to be. I had the "pleasure" of one...never again! I now have Shindaiwa. T2510 (4 stroke), T231 (2 stroke), and an LE261 (2 stroke). I love them all. The 4 strokes have a little more maintenance but they seem to have better fuel economy.