string trimmers life expectancy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bryan Wilson, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Bryan Wilson

Bryan Wilson LawnSite Member

I have a stihl trimmer and had to have 2 carb kits and the clutch replaced. units only 13 months old. Does this seem out of line....
    I use the unit 6 days a week, bout 9 yards a day.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I used my Shindaiwa T-27 for 10 years before giving it to a friend. I replaced the coil, clutch ,and had the gear head rebuilt before I gave it away. It still runs great!

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

You know, back in the early 90's, I had two cycle labeled as high maintenance. I had a bunch of Echo 2400 series trimmers and edgers. They all ran great for about 6-8 months, but then began having problems with carbs and that in turn, clogged mufflers and exhaust ports. I thought it was just the norm. Then I bought a T230 Shindaiwa and after a year it still ran great. Then two years. Thats when I decided to switch over to Shindaiwa on whatever I could. About 6 years later, that T230 is still running fine. It needs a clutch at this point, but still runs good. I've never cleaned an exhaust port or anything. All the others have run as good as expected as well. I won't say they are completely trouble-free. I do have one LE 260 edger with carb problems right now. It was bought in 99.

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I've worked with T-270's over ten years old, ran like new. I wouldn't trade mine for any other brand. Shindaiwa rules.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had similar experiences w/ echo 2400's as Keith. I switched to Redmax in'95 & haven't looked back My '95 model still runs well w/ scored pison & all. I'm gonna keep "ole Betsy" running as long as it needs no major repairs. We've only replaced plugs, pull cords, 1 drive shaft on her so far.

6. MOTHERGOOSE

MOTHERGOOSE LawnSite Member
    from Hawaii

I've had a shindaiwa T-230 for quite some time now and it runs great.

7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i have two old orange echo trimmers from 1988.still running today.both have 4 years of commercial use.never replaced a thing on them.they run better than my new echos.one does have a clutch going bad but its been like that for 2 years now.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run the FS85 trimmers. Have close to 3000 hours on 1 trimmer and its still running very well. Another has close to 1000 hours on it. Very little maintenance has been done on the one with 3000 hours. 1 carb kit and then a new carb. Thats it.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How do you know the hours on them? Do you have an hour meter on them? I ask because we have one FS85 that is in in its fifth year which is still running strong. Just last week Matt jokingly kissed her and said, "Girl, you still got another 5 years left in ya." Then he said to me that he would love to know how many actual hours she had on her without guessimating.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its an educated estimate. With our grass types a trimmer runs as long or longer than the mowers. Thats why I say close. I'm probably +/- 200 hours.