1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

String Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jan 2, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone heard of or using Dolmar String Trimmers? They are made in Germany and have a two year commerical war. Price for a 25cc is $199.00. Any comments will be greatly appreicated. Mowman

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

This is the only brand my dealer carries now.They are a bit higher in price but the quality is supposed to be worth it.I haven't needed to purchase any hand tools sence starting to do business with this dealer.I like what I see and will buy when in need.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I hadn't heard of them until you brought it up. I checked out their site and all I saw was a curved shaft trimmer which we don't like. The price and the warranty sound great if they had staight shaft. I see that Makita is the one that handles them in the USA. USA Makita U.S.A., Inc. Houston Office • 12701 Directors Drive • Stafford, TX 77477 281-565 8665 <p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I am not sure what their reputation with string trimmers is, but they have made chainsaws (sachs/dolmar) for a long time. One of my dealers has the chainsaws and at one time (like 1993) had a two-cycle 21&quot; mower. He talked me into buying the last one he had ($500). Big POS, couldn't even find a blade for it, and it vacuumed everything including what looked like the top 1/2 inch of soil. It was an absolute waste of money, needless to says Sachs/Dolmar would be a hard sell to me.<p>Mowman, I understand you don't want to make a mistake and you are going to the right place for answers. Some of your earlier choices should work out better for you. Stay with a name brand, with available replacement parts. Don't kick yourself later for buying what appeared to be a deal.

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

2-cycle equipment is a &quot;catch-22&quot; Sure, there are better products out there than, say, ECHO, but after 1 or 2 years, you'll either need parts (hard to get for uncommon brands) or you need to sell. Will a uncommon brand be worth something at at re-sell 2 years from now?

6. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

How about a shindaiwa t-260 24.1cc 11.1pounds,6splined solid shaft two ring piston,good guarentee

7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I, and a lot of guys I know, have the Shindaiwa T-230. I personally wouldn't buy any other. 22.5 cc and 9.5 lbs. They run about $250 or so.

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

That's what we run. They are light and have plenty of power for everyday trimming.

9. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

I have a T230 and a T260. Love them both. If I had to have only one, I'd spend the xtra for the T260. Also, I don't like anything but professional quality, round trimming line. Storebought trimmer line costs me time. It seems to break off and weld itself quite a bit. Stihl, Tanaka and Shindaiwa trimmer line are better. I've used all three with equal success.<p>John

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We have two T270's and the PB270 power broom, which is also a great machine. We have had good luck with all the Shindaiwa products. <p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html