1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

string trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dbahz, Apr 12, 2002.

1. dbahz

dbahz LawnSite Member

Which trimmer would you suggest for a home owner who edges with it 99% of the time: Echo 2100 (or 211 in Calif.) or the HusqVarna 322L (dealers still have them), or any other brands.
    Its is only used about 20 minutes a week, but I want a commercial one.

2. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

Go for the Echo!......... Take even half-way decent care of that thing..............................and your grandchildren will enjoy the preformance and reliability of an Echo.

The craftsmanship is magnificent................................(Dude,... yer gonna get a echo)
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for the Husky, I've owned both and the Husky is TWICE the trimmer the Echo is.
  4. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Aw, now you guys have really confused him.
  5. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

My parents bought an Echo when I was around 11. I'm 22 now. The thing still runs great and the only repairs have been a couple carb rebuilds here at the house and one rebuild at the shop. You'd think they'd start draining the gas over the winter. We've also put a new head on it since the original was a POS. I love it and have bought one for myself since I'm buying my own place this summer.

I've never used any other commercial brand other than Echo but see no reason to try until they fail me.
  6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Go big red
    Redmax that is.

Husky trimmers aren't what they were 15 years ago. I bought a new one thinking it would be like the one my dad still has that I tried my best to tear up as a kid. I hated the new ones. Sold it for $100. It was still new when I did that.
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The echo 2100 is OK, but it's too short to use comfortably. You will be bending over "all the time", plus it's too close to your feet if you weedwhack. Look for the echo 2400, which is longer and more powerful. It's about $20 more, but worth the money.
    If you want to spend a bit more money the Shindawa "Home Pro" is just that. It has full bearings in the head, and is 4 inches longer than the 2400 and 8 inches longer the 2100.
    Don't forget you weedwhack left to right for a bend shaft, and right to left for a straight shaft. You "can" weedwhack in the other direction for each machine, but the natural torque twists the machine in to the ground if you do that.
  8. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 2100 and it's a good trimmer for light use, but it is a tad short for me, since I'm close to 6'4, but it works good and I like it, my next trimmer will be a longer one with a bigger engine.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

try a ryobi. then when u get your hands on a good trimmer
    u will appreciate the differences.i try not to bash much ,but i aint to high on that one.
  10. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

no matter which Echo straight shaft trimmer you choose. go check this out. http://edgit.com/
    You will be amazed what it can do for you. I run the Edgit on all my trimmers.