string trimming beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dgw, Jun 21, 2010.

1. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

does anyone else trim there beds at a 45?

i do it because it edges it and catches any straglers from the mower at the same time

plus i found it looks really sharp

just board and couldnt think of any good threads
  2. Heintooga

Heintooga LawnSite Member

I don't trim at angles. I don't care for the manufactured look of stripes, edges, etc. so I try to leave a more natural appearance by "blending without disturbing". I will use shears for touch-up if necessary. Does that make sense?
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

4. W.L.M.

W.L.M. LawnSite Senior Member

I too like the natural look, so much that I don't even cut the lawn I just fertilize it until I get that nice meadow look. :clapping:
  5. mhaley927

mhaley927 LawnSite Member

I'm a big fan of the 45. Especially along driveways sidewalks etc.

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

Could someone show me a picture of 45 please? I just might like it!
  7. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I actually have customers that don't want edging because they like the natural look of the grass leaning over sidewalks, etc. Less work for me so I don't complain.
  8. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

take one tomorrow

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

10. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

I do and it looks damn good too. Sometimes if the bed edge is real tight and uniform, I turn it up vertical and go along the edges. I never use a trimmer to edge sidewalks and driveways. I don't like the big gap that eventually forms. MS Surveyor, this is a method to keep a good defined bed edge in between the Lawn and the Landscape. You've seen it before, just think of the most immaculate yard you've ever seen and remember the edging border between the grass and the mulch or straw.

This is also a good way to keep grass runners out of the bed and help prevent weeds and grass from popping up in the landscape. It DOES NOT prevent, but helps out.