String trimming steep hill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rkeguy, Jul 16, 2013.

1. rkeguy

rkeguy LawnSite Member

Went to give estimate for customer who wants a steep bank cut with a string trimmer. Customer is going to plant ground cover (English ivy, etc) on the bank. The bank is about 12' - 16' high and to steep to stand on. I was going to recommend spraying with roundup then proceed with planting once the vegetation is gone, but I'm not licensed for chemicals.

If I attempt to cut with string trimmer I was thinking of charging 2 hours at my hourly rate. Would you'll take or pass on something like this?

Photo-0165.jpg

Photo-0166.jpg

2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Absolutely just wack it! Well, string trim is the correct wordage but we used to say "weed wack"..

3. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Doesn't look too difficult of a job, I'd say go for it and you'll be fine. Charge your hourly rate for however long you think it will take.

4. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Should only take a hoir

5. lego

lego LawnSite Senior Member

Shouldn't even take an hour, from that picture I could have that done in about 30 minutes. I wouldn't worry about the spray, they will just grow back - let the ground cover take control of the bank. I think your hourly charge for 2 hours should make you some money. I don't think you should tell them you are billing hourly though in-case something happens. You never know might hit a rock, break a trimmer head or something. The second picture looks stand-able to me.

Make sure to charge extra for the ground cover and planting time if you end up doing that.

6. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

When in doubt, pick up a cheap pair of cleats, more traction on the hill.

7. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

20 -35 minutes. I'd probably charge her $75 and be on my merry way

8. happyuser

happyuser LawnSite Member

You know she wants a clean slate to plant which means raking the clippings. I would charge $150, Trim, Rake and Remove

9. lego

lego LawnSite Senior Member

^- 200$ if you are disposing of that stuff, count the time it takes you to unload it.

10. wilsonsground

wilsonsground LawnSite Member

I'd charge $125, wack it and blow the debris up the hill