Stringers???? What the heck..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Jun 3, 2005.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok I am going nuts. Rain Rain and More rain. fine double cutting. Now it has finally dried some and I am starting to see stringers and still double cutting. I have checked the blades all new no rouded edges on tips and such. Checked air pressure. All correct.
    Mower is a Toro fixed deck 36". Have had it 1.5 years and cut great up untill recently.
    Any one have any ideas? I need to figure something out as I need the extra time from double cutting to catch up on shrubs and other work.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Tougher stems maybe?
    Is it the fescue "straws"?

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Maybe a dumb question but, when's the last time you cleaned the deck?

4. sildoc

Cleaned weekly if not daily. That is part of the problem when wet. I can deal with that. However dry is a problem.

5. sildoc

I dont mind when I have a shoot here and there from a tough weed or so but to leave a line down the middle is unacceptable.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

but only on certin conditions and grases. It'll leave a line of uncut grass which results in cutting it 3 times. I think one of the spindles is bent cuz its bean beat bad on a few tree stumps.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How old are your blades?

Measure from blade TIP to blade TIP daigonally. If it varies from a new blade, throw it out.

Rounded off blade tips cause a LOT of cut quality issues.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Stringers. This is what I found happens to me. If I am cutting wet grass the leading caster wheel is the first thing that encounters the grass I am supposed to cut. That wheel flattens the wet grass down. Some of it will be picked up by the vacuum of the deck but not all of it. It is just pasted down and still as long as it was when I ran over it. When things dry out the stringers head for the sun again and I have a rotten looking lawn. I have found that cutting slower and lower will help somewhat as well as double cutting on a different angle on the second pass. Not always a good thing to lower in the wet but short of not mowing its sort of a fix.
    Sounds like you covered all the other bases with the blades and air pressure, check out your front wheels next time you cut in the rain, I think you will see that is the problem.

9. sildoc

In the wet grass I am not worried about stringers but this is still happening in dry also. I had the spindle bearings replaced a month ago and maybe they messed something up???? Not sure. Spindle thing just poped backin in my head I think I am taking her to the dealer since she is still under waranty.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

To much deck rake may cause this. What blades are you running? My cleanest cut for bagging/discharging comes from a solid foil blade.