1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by question1, Aug 22, 2009.

1. question1

question1 LawnSite Member

Okay experts, I need your help please. I have thick, lush St. Augustine grass that I keep high (4.0") and mow every 4 or five days. My Toro Recycler left a lot of stringers -- one every 20 feet or so -- even after I sharpened the blade and checked the RPMs. So I got an almost new Super Recycler with professionally set RPMs and freshly sharpened blade and I STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. I've tried overlapping the rows and that helps a little. I've also tried bagging, and that helps a little as well -- though I'd much rather mulch. I am walking quite slowly when I mow, and there's no problem with the engine bogging down at all. I don't mow when it's wet, so that's not the problem either.

Is my HOC too high to get proper suction? Is my lawn simply too dense to mulch cleanly? Is there some other issue? I would love the benefit of your thoughts. Thanks.
  2. CowboysLawnCare

CowboysLawnCare LawnSite Member

what size cut is your mower?
  3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I thought I had tried everything where you can only get a 21 in to cut with, and my dealer said try one more thing, but it didn't work either -- I got the big, bolt-on sails for a Snapper 21" Hi-Vac blade. Generates a lot more vacuum. Pulled up the plastic access door for the water meter and cut it in half, but still left stringers.

More overlap helps, but you can double cut, think you got 'em all, and come back in twenty minutes and some more stringers have popped up. I think it is just the contrary nature of St. Aug.

I don't know of a reel mower that has a high enough cutting height for St. Aug., but wonder if even that would work.
  4. bonefisher101

bonefisher101 LawnSite Member

Certain times of the year St. Aug. gets pretty tough to manage! You just have to double cut and change patterns and deal with it!
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I think this is your main problem is cutting too high, disabling maximum suction. :nono:

St Augustine mowing heights should range from 1 to 3 inches depending on the frequency of mowing and the degree of shade present.
  6. bonefisher101

bonefisher101 LawnSite Member

Different types of St Augustine can be cut at 3 to 4 inches! Your thinking of semi dwarf instead of standard St Augustine! I cut here down south at 3.50"!
  7. hate2work

hate2work LawnSite Member

OK...what are stringers?
  8. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

OK. I cut St. Aug. At one house at 4.5 in. Do you have a mulching kit?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Stringers are people who weave baskets for a living.
  10. question1

question1 LawnSite Member

I call them "stringers," and I have also heard them called "stragglers." They're random blades of grass that escape being cut even though you mow right over them. Sorry if I used the wrong term. My mower has a 21" deck.