Stringing along a not yet client that ticked me off

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Colaguy, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Unprofessional? Maybe. Elderly man called me out two yrs ago for a quote to sod the yard next to his. He bought and renovated the property in order to sell it. Probably 12 pallets of sod needed. Till & rake it out, Level. Pretty easy job.

He called to set up a time to meet. I googled the street view and realized I had been there before. I remember he had previously "insulted" my Ariens rear tine tiller, Telling me it wasn't capable of tilling up his loose soil! Tilling is the easy part. He didnt hire me for that job either. You insult my equipment, You insult "me" personally!

Now he wants an estimate to replace the sod in his front yard. Wants two estimates, replace the whole yard & half of the front. Said somebody quoted him (7) pallets, so obviously he is fishing for quotes. My first thought was WHY didnt he hire the sod company that did his other yard? Maybe they went out of business, who knows.

I'm pulling his estimate on the back burner of things I need to do. He seems to be in no hurry to get it done. Go fish elsewhere buddy.
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i don't see how what equipment that is used would make any difference to a customer as long as the job gets done correctly.
  3. Element Property Mgmt

Element Property Mgmt LawnSite Member

bid him high and if he doesn't like it he will remember not to call you for quotes anymore, if he does like it then the money should make it worth it to forget his arrogance.
    can't you measure his property and get a square footage number on it and compare that to how much a pallet of sod covers? it shouldn't be one guy says that 7 pallets will cover what you want vs you think it will take 12, a pallet covers x amount of area, do some math.
    and if it really bothers you that much, just ignore him....
  4. Element Property Mgmt

Element Property Mgmt LawnSite Member

also idk why you wouldn't be able to get some grass to grow on that lawn, doesn't look like it NEEDS sod to me, just some proper care. just my opinion though i can only judge from the pic.

That's what I was thinking by looking at this pic.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

"Lawn" looks like nothing but weeds to me. It's Florida boys. We do a lot of sod down here. I hardly ever see anybody but homeowners trying to seed. St Augustine cultivars you can only get in sod.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  7. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like it has been getting scalped for a long time. Not much grass left.

I don't have time to play head games with people. I'd go out when it was on my schedule and bid it with the PITA fee factored in.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013