stripe direction ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jun 17, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

whitch way is the best to see most of the day?
  2. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

Seems to me that perpendicular to the flow of traffic is a good way to go. LOL:D
  3. BobbyBcuttin

BobbyBcuttin LawnSite Member

I always think east to west seems to be the best. It just seems that the color deferance stands out better with the direction of the son's travel.
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

different every week is best no?
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

im with sts. i switch direction every week.
  6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think that it would depend on the location of the lawn in regards to the roadway - LOL!!!

For most of our clients we rotate (think of a clock)using the four basic directional patterns:
    12 to 6 ... 9 to 3 ... 11 to 5 ... 7 to 1

For PITA clients we use six patterns. The four listed above plus 8 to 2 and 10 to 4.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I always cut quadradirectional. North-south, East-west, Northwest-southeast, and Northeast-southwest. I do find however, that if you only cut in two directions, say northwest to southeast and northeast to southwest, then the stripes and checkerboard effect really stands out alot better.
  8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i agree with runner, but if u do all the different directions then it will just get the grass thinking more and will stripe better, i mow my lawn every three days twice to get it perfect looking, each time doing a different direction, first cutting i go west to east, second i go north to south, third and fourth i repeat, fith and sixth i go north to south and west to east, 7th and 8th i go diagonal, then lets say 9th and 10th ill do same as 5th and 6th, mix it up keep it strong. right stripe dude?
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Mine usually end up 9:15 to 10 after 4. :laugh:

It all depends on the lot shape what directions I mow a lawn, but to answer your question, east to west can be seen best in the morning and late afternoon, but North South or any angle with North and South can be seen good at the hours around 12 noon. Cloudy days, they all look good. ;)
  10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

no matter which way i stripe them i see the stripes even if cloudy. same with all the guys with good striping mowers. i use kutukru's patterns about 8 different ones that i switch every time i cut.