Stripe kit ideas and comments?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Nov 17, 2003.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I did searches on DIY stripe kits and most are from 2001. I would like to know what you stripe kit guys prefer between chains, rollers or casters. I am going to make my own kit and I have alot of ideas but I was wondering what the best way to go is.

2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

easier than all those would be a heavy flap of rubber like a mud flap bolted to your deck

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I put a homeade roller kit on my Z.

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I made a chain kit for my super z, also the reciever hitch.
    Tim

440x332 superz chains&hitch.jpg

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I took the cheap way out.Went with chains.I used a 5/16" threaded rod,2 feet long.Dropped the chain down from the rod and attached the rod via 90 degree brackets.Looped the chain at the bottom and came back up and ran the rod through another link.Repeated process till it was enough to cover two feet.I think it took about 23 feet of chain to do this.I used two holes that were already in the rear of the motor shroud to attach it.
    Great thing about looping it is I run a bungee cord through the loops to pull the chain up when not in use,so it doesn't catch on the metal ramp.Just loosen the bungee and reattach at the bottom of the shroud to stripe.
    If ya want I'll go out and take some pics to clarify.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Nick you took the cheap way out but used 23 feet of chain? how much did it cost & where did you get it? I haven't found any cheap chain yet :blob4:

7. Fireman D

Fireman D LawnSite Member

I made my own chain kit for my Bob-Cat ZTR.

striping kit.jpg.jpg

8. Fireman D

Fireman D LawnSite Member

Here is one using the rubber flap method that I installed on my Bob-Cat WB.

wb kit.jpg

9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

LOL Franken Scag.I got the chain at a local hardware store.I don't remember how much it all was.It was less than $40.00 though.

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Nick
    Sorry I wasn’t trying to be smart aleck, I just haven’t found any chain that I’d consider cheap lol.
    I built a deck roller for my eXmark for under $40 and it not only stripes but it acts as one big anti scalp roller, lets you roll over berms and bumps w/o scalping. Works great! Plus it adds trimability by taking out the rear anti scalp wheels on the deck so you can get that corner of the deck closer to stuff which is a bigger advantage than it sounds like. Really nice. The roller is a conveyor roller from www.mcmastercarr.com I think that’s the address. The bearings in it are already wearing out from all the beating I’m giving it so I’ll either have to put on a new roller every year or find a heavier duty roller. I got the cheapest one on their site so I am sure I could find one with more durable bearings in it.
    Eric