Stripe kit on 2007 Lazer Z w/ 60'' Triton

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ExecutiveLawns, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns LawnSite Member

I just put a stripping kit on a new lazer z with the 60'' triton deck. I installed it where the instruction says to at the 3-4" cutting hight holes. When we mowed friday it really doesnt look to stripe as well as i thought it should. I really cant tell a difference between having the kit on or not. can anyone help me out here, do i need to place the roller in a different hight setting maybe go higher or lower or will that damage the lawn? Im currently cutting at 3.5 inches.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

For 3-4" cutting heights, the top mounting bolt of the striper should be in the center hole. I wouldn't recommend going lower than that because the roller may contact the ground too much and could cause premature wear/damage to the bearings and roller.

Pull the machine up onto a piece of concrete and set your deck height to 3.5", the roller should be about 1" off the ground.

Some of it could also be your turf type and condition. Southern grasses simply don't stripe well for the most part, shouldn't be an issue in Iowa, but a weedy yard (buckhorn, foxtail, crabgrass) also doesn't tend to stripe very well.

The most important condition of your turf for striping is the nitrogen and moisture level. Nitrogen is one of the key components in striping, low nitrogen content yards typically will not stripe well, neither will drought stressed grasses for the most part (or at least won't hold their stripe).

I hope this helps.
  3. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns LawnSite Member

Is there a pitch that my deck should be at to stripe the best cause i was always told 1/4" with my other mowers and they stripe great but for some reason this triton deck isnt lookin so great and im not impressed. Also have you guys had many complaints about the decks not being level and with the right pitch from the factory and or dealer, because mine and a few friends machines purchased at different dealers have all been off as far as hight, side to side and pitch. Is there anything else i can do to get a great looking stripe?

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

If your cutting @3" I would set it 1/4 " off the ground. That will give you the down pressure you need to strip. Having it 1" off the ground just isn't enough..
  5. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

The bearings are very expensive to replace. Set it like the book says. If it's not striping I would make sure other things are in place. Deck level? Good grass? It won't stripe on all grass like you expect. Get it on a real healthy lawn and it do just fine.