1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stripe widths

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stewartje, May 8, 2008.

1. stewartje

stewartje LawnSite Member

I don't recall having seen anything on this topic...
    For residential cuts, do customers generally prefer narrower stripes, wide stripes, or do they even care?

I am looking at getting a 61" mower to cut my own property and others that I will pick up, but I also have a 48" that I use now and a 32" for getting through gates.

What do you guys think on this one?
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

From my experience, customers care absolutely nothing about stripes. Only LCOs on LS care about stripes.
  3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

actually my customers love the way we stripe their lawns. i get requests for striping certain ways. but make sure u mix it up so you dont rut the lawns.
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I change direction every 2 cuts.
  5. stewartje

stewartje LawnSite Member

I have seen how it can hurt a lawn to run over it the same way everytime. The grass actually looks like it is bruising. I worked on a golf course in college and we cut the greens a different way everyday. There were four different patterns that we would rotate through. They always looked great!
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

our rule of thumb is use the mower appropriate for the lawn area it is mowing. ie, dont use a 60 in cut for a 1000 ft front yard with a mulch bed in the middle!!!!! no one really cares what size the mower i used unless it causes damage or does not look good
  7. ilovegrass

ilovegrass LawnSite Member

i have a 60 lazer with a stripping kit why am i getting a line of grass in the middle of my stripe not cut about 2inchs
  8. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Absolutely correct! I rotate no less than 3 ways with each of my customers. The larger the lot, the larger the stripe should be. Anything under 1 acre should have a 48" stripe or smaller.