Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JDharbourlandscaping, Dec 2, 2004.

1. JDharbourlandscaping

JDharbourlandscaping LawnSite Member

i've got a 2001 gravely 50 walk behind that doesnt really stripe all that well, i was thinking about mounting a piece of rubber just behind the deck to help it out a little... feed back on that would be great, and im also looking at possibly buying a new walk behind, and im debating between an exmark, and bobcat... which stipes/cuts better? thanks
  2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Try chains too for a stripe kit. Exmark has a stripe kit for thier mowers that I hear is pretty good.
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Run a search for home made striping kits. I saw one a while back that a guy made from a mudflap. It was very cool. Along the same lines as what you are asking .

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe your deck is set up to high. The back part of the cutter deck is what does the striping. It should be about 1/2" below finished cut height.
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

do a search on 'rake adjustment' - lots of good info and 'how to' instruction.

6. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Front of the deck should be 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch lower than the rear of the deck.

misc pics 2 006.jpg
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

With mine, the back of the deck is is anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" lower than the front depending on what height. That is why the thicker and taller the grass is, the lower the back of the deck is compared to the front, because I have to cut it higher
  8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you use a rubber hose to make striper?
  9. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of mower do you use to make those stripes?
  10. Dig Yard Dirt

Dig Yard Dirt LawnSite Member

Okay, I'm a little confused, which is better, the front of the deck lower or the back of the deck lower for striping?? I could understand the back of the deck lower by dragging the grass blades in one direction.

But, not the front of the deck, please explain, I'm curious.