stripes after using a drop spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn Rangers, May 23, 2005.

1. Lawn Rangers

Lawn Rangers LawnSite Member

What to do????

used a borrowed drop spreader when I was in a rush. I applied weed and feed. now I have stripes in the customers lawn. Is it too early to test soil and fertilize again? the yard is very shaded and stays dry. it's an urban yard in nice area and I'm wanting to make it a showplace for them. If not fertilizing... what should I do??? it's not growing much right now either... we are in need of rain in Northwest Louisiana. I have been giving it plenty of water though. thanks guys.

2. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Did you overlap ever so slightly with the drop spreader? If not, this would be my guess as to why caused your problem. That, or something clogged a section of the hopper causing an uneven application.

It will fade over time. Although delicate, you could apply the fertilizer over the lighter areas... but if done improperly, you could do more harm than good.

Be a little more careful next time with your application.

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

you deserve a fine!! :waving:

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Nothing could make me use a drop spreader.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

ditto
    for ferts broadcast is the only way

6. Lawn Rangers

Lawn Rangers LawnSite Member

yeah. I was in a bind and needed to finish, but will never use one again. It's pretty humiliating to have four years under your belt and still do something that stupid. heh, guess I learned my leason. So should I still mow it the same height and all or should I let it grow a little? And is there any thing else I can put on it at this stage?

7. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if this is generally accepted practice but you could try an iron application to green up the light stuff. Use an iron app that doesn't contain nitrogen and you may smooth out the looks without overcooking the stuff you already did.

8. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

Well at least you can admit your mistakes to everyone here. Good luck getting it back in shape. I see alot of homeowners doing that, i like to look and laugh.

9. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

What is a drop spreader good for, anyways? I've always used broadcast.

Jason

10. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

I have used one for detailed seeding, but that is about all.