stripes again

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by compute_a_nerd, Jun 9, 2005.

1. compute_a_nerd

compute_a_nerd LawnSite Member

Hey all. I have been reading through the stripes posts, and have a little more specific question.
    Does anyone here have some pictures of a Walker with a stripe kit? If so does it work well? I've been wanting to put one on mine to get an edge on the competition, but want to see if anyone has a time tested design.
    Thanks
    Chris

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Chris, Welcome to Lawnsite. Walkers are a stripe kit! I have owned a Walker for my business for 8.5 of the 10 years and have no problem striping a lawn with no added attatchments. I cut cool season lawns probably close to what you have there in Walkers home state. I have dual tail wheels on mine because I make tight turns but they still stripe almost as well as the single. The back and forth technique is what you may have to perfect on your own but there is no striping kit unless someone has something homemade. I run a 52SD and a 42GHS (spring time only). Take some pictures of your work and post here. It is easy to stripe with the Walker.

nov4 004.jpg

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

You could fabricate your own. :)

4. compute_a_nerd

compute_a_nerd LawnSite Member

Here are my stripes. They come out great with my 54" deck, but w/ my 42" I have to raise the deck and double mow. Is there something I'm missing?
    You can see how they area little uneaven.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks
    Chris

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

To me the second picture looks like technique. Are you overlapping the last row cut? You have to use the width of the deck in one direction and then turn around and use that width going back the other way. You may be doing that but I can see what you mean about it not looking right. Tell me how you are mowing. I think with a little work you can perfect it. Its trying to keep a straight line and alternating direction every week. It is also a bit of experience with the machine. Your stripes don't look bad but you can always get better. Try slowing down as you mow (funny to say about a Walker huh) and see how the stripe looks. Try speeding up. Try with the deck high and then try low later in the year. Take pictures. Lawns are asthetic things, its in the eye of whoever is looking. Just experiment with differnet things and be patient, you are almost there.