stripes and sunlight

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 9, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my boys and i went to a baseball game last night. the stripes on the field looked real nice, but seemed to fade as the sun went down and the lights came on. am i imagining this? or does sunlight make the stripes look better than the artificial lights?

2. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

yep have you ever noticed that your stripes stand out when viewd from one side of the lawn and then not at all from the other side, then later on in the day they are viewable from the other side and not at all on the side that was standing out. it just depends on which angle the sun is hitting the grass.

boy thats confusing

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

that is how stripes work. the lighter stripe is you looking at it from the back (the stripe is lighter, so i think of it as being the light at the end of a tunnel), and the darker stripe is you looking at it from the front. it's all about the way the grass lays and how the sun hits it.

4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i know bobby knows how stripes work. I think he means do we think the sun gives better light then the bulbs do? Making the stripes look not as intense. Am i right bobby?

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup chef, you are right. i couldn't understand why sunlight made them very bold, and artificial lights, though very very bright, made the stripes almost unnoticeable

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This homeowner wanted stripes in whatever light was available. He got them and now I have to fix them.

pics 055.jpg

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Actually....I think stripes stand out more with a little cloud cover...or is this just me?

What happened there MOWED?

8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i agree walker-talker. seems to me that when there is a lot of sun shining directly on the lawn, there is almost a shine to the stripes and you can't see either of them

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Mow Ed that is a lovely bit of work you have taken on. Please give us some pictures as work on correcting the issue.

Gravely_Man

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Homeowner found a bag of fertilzer in the garage and broke out the good old drop spreader. A week later after considerable rain you see the results. I went over and explained how I will try to make it less noticable. I sprayed ferromec ac on it and I will hope to see some improvement in a week or so. They realize now that they really don't know what they are doing and I will land a new account.
    Now back to the stripes.