1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stripes Are For Zebras

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FastMan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

Do you personally like them? Some of my customers do. Others detest their lawn looking like a checker board. They want the look of a sprawling and solid palette of green. They think it less busy, and more relaxing and pleasing to look at.

What are your personal feelings on it, and what do your customers prefer?

2. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate the look of striping. The worst eyesore created around here is when for the final mow of the season the deck is dropped much too low along with striping.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I personally like it, but don't strive for it. It just happens

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

In some grasses you have no choice but to stripe. On our northern grasses you can see every move made by the mower. So picture what mowing in circles or just random lines across a lawn would look like!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I like striping. Some of my customers prefer it but most don't care one way or the other. Here's my lawn last spring.

[​IMG]

6. No such thing as striping in Florida and people don't ask for it. It's like bagging and Buddha, doesn't exist.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

It just happens when we mow, but I do think it looks nice
    [​IMG]

8. exmark user

exmark user LawnSite Senior Member

Live for them

9. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

This is why I like it. If you look at all the other yards in that picture it makes Richard's yard stand out.

Down here it's rare to see people stripe mainly b/c the grass. I like stripes because it makes the yard stand out and make it unique.

10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

How did you keep the line straight around the flag pole? I would have a circle there unless it isn't visible from this angle.

We have to stripe
    Posted via Mobile Device