1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stripes Are For Zebras

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FastMan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. 2ExploreTech

2ExploreTech LawnSite Member

I get what you are asking. May be termed different -- Seamless mowing - is how I know it.

I will admit that there are times when the turf is 'fluffed up' looks real nice. I have done that in small areas, mostly by cutting forward, then backing up over it, but I still have the tire marks showing. Short of raking out the whole yard or using a blower, neither of which I see as practicle on large turf, I don't know how accomplish this.

What many do is 1/2 of yard in 1 direction and next half in other, either by working outside in or starting in middle and working out... but although is isn't striped, it's not seamless either.

... I have received a few comments, not from when the lines were straight, rather from when it was "curvy-swurvy" and "wow, looks great... looks like you had fun" . Oh, well. I mean it looked OK, but I didn't think it was that great, just different for that week.
  2. 2ExploreTech

2ExploreTech LawnSite Member

Hey, stipes looks great!

Can't recall where I saw a picture of it... If you ever have extra time on your hands and wish to challenge yourself, have the stripes radiate out from the pole.
  3. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

you know, I really think it's harder not to stripe. C'mon spring!

fine pix 003.jpg
  4. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you see his pics somewhere on the net? He could be in better homes & gardens and not even know it...
  5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I realize if one is mowing in turf that doesn't stripe (well) that this is a non-issue...
    So if one mows concentrically in racetrack fashion...how do you then drive out of the middle w/o leaving an unsightly stripe that would essentially go against the visual grain and would therefore appear out-of-pattern? This is akin to someone putting down a nice stripe...then cutting across the lawn instead of driving around the periphery.
  6. GreenBlade

GreenBlade LawnSite Member

I love stripes, and I do stripe all my lawns.

I have one client who loves them as much as I do & and he is very particular about them. He'll give me specific instructions sometimes.

Other customers just comment & say "it looks very nice" whether or not the stripes play a part in that, i dont know.
  7. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

all the properties i take care of are striped. why not stripe? it shows you genuinely care about each and every account. plus damn near every commercial mower is made to stripe, other than 3 wheel junk like walkers.
  8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Great. A nice peaceful Sunday and your going to all the Walker zombies stirred into a lather.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Help me Patriot, they're banging at my door!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

You mean like this??:hammerhead: