1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stripes Are For Zebras

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FastMan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

C'mon kids, everyone play nice. Please don't turn this thread into another....you know what.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a particular reason no one has buried those cleanouts?
  3. Kings of Green LLC

Kings of Green LLC LawnSite Member

I run 48" walkers and a 52" wright stander both stripe great. What size cut do you guys think looks best? My 36" stander dosent look as good as my 48-52?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Must not be a priority for the homeowner. Not too big of a deal to trim around them.

Depends on the lawn. On bigger stuff, there almost gets to be too many stripes with a small mower (36" for example). 48/52 seems to be a good size for most things IMO.
  5. Kings of Green LLC

Kings of Green LLC LawnSite Member

I have been looking at a 72" grasshopper how to they stripe?
  6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I was going to ask the same thing. Heck, I'd do it myself (owner permission first of course) just so I didn't have to walk over and trim them.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would too. Just replace the plastic cap with a metal cap so they can easily be found with a metal detector. Dig about a 12" deep hole around them. Cut the 4" pipe about 4" below the current cap fixture and put the new fixture and metal cap on. Back fill and it's done. No more messed up stripes and 2 less things to trim around. About an hour in labor tops for both cleanouts.
  8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

messed up stripes?

the stripes look fine to me. guess its cause I'm to busy paying attention to the over all quality of the cut in general :rolleyes:
  9. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

i just do not prefer 3 wheel mowers because they leave tracks between stripes. im just partial because i only run walk behinds. i feel like a walk behind stripes a little better and there is not as much turf damage. i run a 52'' scag hyrdo wb and a 36'' scag belt drive wb. on most of the properties i take care of, i feel like my 52'' looks best (unless the yard is too small, then i would use my 36''). Sorry to ruffle any feathers walker owners! i just thought id give my opinion, that what a blog is for right?
  10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

funny because even when I strictly ran walkbehinds I still had 3 wheels. always ran the exmark standon with my exmark mowers and its a 1 wheel design.

guess in general I'm more concerned with the overal appearance of the mowing job. are things trimmed neatly, is it an even cut, no scalp marks, no turf damage, no clumps, nice sharp edge, sidewalks and walkways blown off. if I get nice sharp looking stripes in all that, great, if not oh well.