Stripes Are For Zebras

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FastMan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would never start in the middle of a lawn.

when doing vertical or horizontal I start at the end and use the driveway or sidewalk for reference. when doing diagonal I still start at the far left or far right and work my way across.

but I also don't worry about making my stripes look like they went through the flag pole or tree. you will always see the pass around a tree or light post on my properties.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This is how I do it.

You have it correct except you never pass something with the discharge side of the deck. The left side of the deck is towards the pole.

3. Fwilamosky

Fwilamosky LawnSite Senior Member

i prefer stripes because i feel it makes a yard appear more professional

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

we have no stripes on southern grasses.

i was wondering why richard's yard is the only one that has stripes? all the yards here look like his neighbor's yards. lol

i think that flagpole ruins a good football field the kids in the neighborhood could use. lol

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I was just trying to give people an idea so I wasnt really thinking about it, but yes you are right. Thanks for pointing that out

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Check out my website, the majority of those stripe pics were taken on warm season grasses like Bahia and Centipede.

My yard is the only green one because I'm the only person that doesn't care for the look of dead grass for 6 months out of the year. It's overseeded with a mix of annual rye and tall fescue.

The kids in the neighborhood have their own large front yards to play in. All of the lawns on my street are large.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Your yard looks awesome, and you obviously take great care of it. The stripes make it even nicer. I try to make my yard look the same. If I caught the neighbor kids playing on it.........:gunsfirin

I can understand why people in areas with grass that doesn't stripe easily or well wouldn't worry about them or care one way or the other, but I really don't see how anyone who lives in an area where it isn't that hard to get them to show, can honestly say they don't like the looks of nicely laid stripes. Without them there's nothing but cut grass laying in different directions, or half light, half dark shades if they mow in a round and round fashion. Stripes also help to hide the tire marks along their edges.

8. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Stop confusing him by saying you need to mow this way then that way and back this way but not that way; just tell him the truth.

Those of us with "perfect stripes" that appear to go through things, we all modify our mowers so the deck separates down the middle and we can go on both sides of the tree, pole, etc.

Good luck trying to get plans though, would be easier to get a magician to give up his secrets! Maybe FOX will do a "secrets of striping" show one day. :)

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

do you have a striping kit? i cut centipede and it doesn't stripe at all here.

noone here cares much about their yards. they prefer they go dormant so they don't have to pay for lawncare or cut it themselves. :laugh:

i was saying your yard looked like a football field which is a compliment. :clapping:

i always cut back and forth in straight lines but the stripes never show. just tire marks which only last a few days and then disappear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  10. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

WELL down where I'm at I can stripe my yards for example.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]