Stripes Are For Zebras

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FastMan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Big League Lawns roller. Here's a Centipede lawn that I used to do. It would hold the stripes until the next time I cut the grass. The lawn gets a little thin over towards the right side so the stripes aren't as well pronounced there.

2591 lawn.jpg

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Now you know we can stripe Bermuda or Zoysia if the customer pays the REEL price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. For sure, but if we start talking about that, the walker zombies are going to come out of the woodwork.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, anyone can just cut in circles.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you can cut striaght lines without making stripes lol....it is possible....i do it all the time.

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Love it. Sets you apart from others that have no clue.

7. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

When you go in the same tracks in certain types of grass it lays the grass over and causes ruts in the turf. I could take a rake to a lot of guys yards and rake up 2 feet of uncut grass. I usually go all different sets of tracks or sometimes opposite tracks (head down a green stripe not a white stripe) to stand the grass up. It just depends on the yard and type of grass. There is all different types of grass in this country. But the people around here are fascinated with destroying lawns by going in the same tracks for years and years. When I get these yards they are rougher that heck.

8. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I agree changing directions and switching the patteren from light to dark is a must, sometimes its a pain if the yard is rectangular and you have to go the short way across, but it all works out in the end, may take 10-15% longer and same with diagnoal, I also try to offset the lines, so they tires aren't in the same spot week to week, found that all this stuff helps but sometimes rutting is inevitable. Im not sure how to cut without striping, the mower just kinda does it, not all mowers but most to some extent. Also wondering what height you all cut at, the longer the cut the more visible the stripes usually are, I know it varies with different kinds of turf.

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 4 patterns I use on almost all my lawns.

horizontal, vertical and 2 diagonals.

never thought about alternating the light/dark stripes. might have to try that this season.

10. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Wont help rutting but is better for the grass so it isn't always laying the same way. I also like the people that mentioned a pure green lawn(sea of green) buts its almost imposible not to leave some kind of lines from the tires, but offsetting helps a lot, sometimes you can feel where the ruts are, but they aren't always visible, to the untrained eye.